Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solution to yahoo mail setup issues with Apple mail...

There have to be a lot of people out there who have a similar setup as me --- ISP is Verizon (FIOS), and am using an iMac w/OS X, v 10.7.4, and Apple Mail v 5.2. No matter what I did, I could not get Apple mail to connect to Yahoo's smtp server... (Gmail was not working either) I spent hours on this. FINALLY -- I discovered the problem. My FIOS router/firewall was on the maximum security setting, which only allows outgoing smtp mail to port 25! Once I changed that firewall setting (which allows outgoing smtp mail to port numbers other than 25), I was finally able to connect to yahoo's smtp server! Now my Apple mail works just fine. Here are the settings I used:

Incoming mail server: pop.mail.yahoo.com

Incoming port: 995

Outgoing mail server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing port: Used "custom port" set to 465

SSL is used for both incoming and outgoing servers, with password as the authentication method.

Full email address is used wherever it says "user name" in mail preferences

* This is with Yahoo Plus mail. And before you do anything with Apple mail, you have to make sure that you enable "POP" mail in your Yahoo Plus account, under mail - settings.

I hope this saves some people the hours of time that it cost me!! 🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Apple Mail/Yahoo setup issues

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 11:09 AM

4 replies

Aug 7, 2012 12:08 PM in response to newiMacuser777

I have managed to get incoming mail to work. It is the outgoing settings that are still not working on my system. I have tried every configuration. I have gone back and forth between Verizon and Apple Care too many times to count.

Do you have to turn down the security level on the FIOS router/firewall before making these changes? If you do, it probably makes the system more vulnerable to malware, etc.

I have standard Yahoo Verizon mail. I believe you can enable it for POP mail. It certainly always worked for me before. Like you I have tried everything. I was also told that my internet connection is PPPoE versus DHCP which may also cause problems. Like you, I have spent days trying to sort this out.

Aug 7, 2012 6:13 PM in response to Dolphinadv

Yes, my incoming mail was also working first before I could get the outgoing mail to work. And re. the FIOS router/firewall, yes, the overall firewall security setting had to be changed from "High" to "Medium." I didn't like to do that, but it was the only way to allow outgoing SMTP mail to any ports other than 25. Once I changed that firewall setting, and then made the changes noted above in Apple mail, it worked like a charm.

Regarding PPPoE versus DHCP, I think this only affects your Internet connection itself. In other words, if you have Internet connectivity, I don't think it will have any effect on your mail. (though I can't swear to that)

Good luck!!

Solution to yahoo mail setup issues with Apple mail...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.