Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes sign in won't go away

Whenever I open itunes I get a prompt to 'Sign in to use this computer for automatic downloads'. When I put in my ID and confirmed password, it leaves, and then prompts again like I've done nothing. If I cancel it...it leaves and then prompts again like nothing happened. I can't download itunes apps at all on my iMac and it's getting pretty frustrating to try to use itunes.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 12:10 PM

6 replies

Jun 8, 2017 3:34 AM in response to silentstrife7

Settings>general>Reset > reset all settings

(Make sure you DO NOT erase all data)

This will just wipe stored passwords for wifi and Apple Pay etc...it will not delete any apps photos or other app data.

It just deletes a few passwords and resets a few default settings

It's a really light reset that effects just deletes stored passwords

It seems to have solved the iTunes Store pop up asking for login

30 mins have now passed.

I"ll post back if it didn't solve permanen

Jun 25, 2012 8:04 PM in response to silentstrife7

An older post said to login to your account within itunes; go to account information; then disable icloud and ping. Since I'm also on 10.6.8 there is no "disable iCloud" option. So this is what I did (and it worked) - from the Account page within iTunes Store (must be logged in):

1. Ping was already disabled/off

2. In the iTunes match section, I clicked "Learn More" then clicked "No thanks". Effectively turning off Match (it gets removed from the sidebar).

3. Under "Settings" I turned off "Recommendations and Ping Postings".

I don't know which step - #2 or #3 actually made that login prompt no longer appear, but it doesn't so I'm happy.

Also, I had already disabled "Download updates automatically" in system preferences (and that didn't fix the iTunes problem). Note that I had that disabled that before I updated to 10.6.8 and the 10.6.8 re-enabled it. Not related, just mentioning in case that box needs to be unchecked too.

Other things you can try are in this Reset Warnings tip in this iTunes Windows thread (I didn't try it since the above worked for me):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3524167?answerId=18589065022#18589065022

May 25, 2013 9:05 AM in response to silentstrife7

I just had this problem for the first time, on OS X 10.8 with iTunes 11.0.3 (42).

I use iTunes Match, so disabling it wasn't an option. Ping is gone, so no luck there.

The unusual symptom of this problem is that the "Remember Password" and "Sign Out" options were missing from the Sign In dialog.

I was able to fix the issue with these two steps:

iTunes Store -> Account -> Settings -> Reset all warnings for buying and downloading -> [Reset]

iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Reset iTunes Store cache -> [Reset cache]

Once I'd clicked those two buttons (in that order), I was able to purchase again. It's likely that only the "Reset cache" button was required, though.

Itunes sign in won't go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.