Skip navigation

Why won't my iMac recognise my Samsung S3?

15323 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2012 4:21 AM by RobTheVigilante RSS
jennifenelmes Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 22, 2012 12:56 PM

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 but am truly unable to get my iMac to 'see' the phone when connected via USB.  Does anyone have any idea what I'm meant to do?

I'd really like to sync itunes to the phone.  I've tried using the app Easy Phone Sync but no joy with that either.

Thanks.

iMac
  • Allan Jones Level 7 Level 7 (29,575 points)
    Jun 22, 2012 1:41 PM (in response to jennifenelmes)

What model iMac? What Mac OS version? Both can be found by doing "About this Mac" from your Apple menu and posting what the resulting window says for "Processor" and Mac OS X version. Looks like:

About_this_Mac_PPC.png

• sfwpac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 16, 2012 5:11 PM (in response to jennifenelmes)

I just tried to download easy phone sync on my MBP and on my samsung galaxy s3. But in the "PLAY" store, it gives me an error the android app is not available/not compatible with my SGS3.  HELP!

• hlozo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 31, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to jennifenelmes)

hello.

have the same problem on 10.8

i am able to use the sync via kies but i'd like to connect it as a storage devide. this goes with no problem on xp or ubuntu (even under parallels on the same imac that does not want to connecct it natively).

can see this in dmesg

USBF:155741.588[0xffffff80186c3e00] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 3 of Hub at 0xfd100000)

any ideas?

i found several answers on android forums but they are all connected with rooting the phone. thanx

• RobTheVigilante Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 23, 2012 3:13 AM (in response to jennifenelmes)

Hi Jen

I've been reading the Iphone 5 versus Samsung S3, and I'm non the wiser!

Would you mind telling me how you get on with your S3 please?  I've an IMAC too.

Kind regards.

Rob

Sep 23, 2012 6:17 AM (in response to jennifenelmes)

Ahh thanks Jen.

Your reply has made my decision much easier.

:-)

Sep 23, 2012 6:36 AM (in response to RobTheVigilante)

I agree it is simpler to sync the iPhone's with the IOS software, but I really prefer the Galaxy S3 over the iPhone.  I have a couple of different programs that sync.  You cannot sync the apple calendar easily.  It's a personal preference.

Sep 23, 2012 6:49 AM (in response to sfwpac)

I think my main 'decider' is the fact I have an IMAC, and so I'd go for the phone that seems easier to sync etc.....but the S3 does have nice reviews!......looks like to be the 5 tho :-)

Sep 23, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to RobTheVigilante)

I have to have 2 service providers to make sure I have coverage everywhere possible.  I have a S3 on Verizon and went to go get my 2nd phone at ATT, it was the day before the iPhone 5 came out.  I was tempted, don't get me wrong.  I have had an iPhone in the past.  But for me, I'm tech savvy, rely on my devices so much given the amount of travel that I do and the amount of info that I need to have with me on a  regular basis, both nationally and internationally, and went for the Red GS3 on ATT.  It was close, but the removable memory, able to have 80gb of memory with 16 built in and a 64gb card on ATT/96gb on the Verizon model with 32g built in and a 64gb card vs 64gb max on the I5, great camera on both, and running andoid system (which i really prefer over iOS on my phone, and I have an iMac, iPad2 x3, and a MBP13", so usually and apple girl).  Otherwise, spec wise, it's fairly a draw.  Yes, people copy, and lawsuits are everywhere, including against the I5 by HTC for the 4g guts, its a personal preference.

Since my initial issues with syncing I have had no problems since on either phone once I had the settings right to sync.  Good Luck! 

Nov 3, 2012 4:21 AM (in response to sfwpac)

I still have the IPhone 4, as for now I've not been drawn to the 4S or the 5......

I may head into a phone store to check the S3.....  :-)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.