Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BootCamp Assistant removed all partitions

When I first installed Windows 7 using BootCamp Assistant it formated the disk as DOS FAT (32). I wanted to change that to NTFS. So I launched BootCamp Assistant, selected Remove Windows, and proceeded to remove the BootCamp partition. The dialog box stated that my disk would be restored to a single partition. That done I ran BootCamp Assistant again to try and re-install Windows. But it said my disk could not be used to boot. So I ran Disk Utility from a network recover session and discovered that BootCamp had left my disk with only a single DOS FAT(32) parition! My OS X was completely gone and now I can't do anything with my laptop. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there some way I can reset the partition type without erasing the disk and recover OS X without having to do a complete restore?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 4:28 PM

1 reply

Jun 22, 2012 4:44 PM in response to McMark64

You failed to read the Boot Camp documentation (specifically the part about using the Windows install disk to format the partition as NTFS), did you read the part about making a backup before you do this?

Reboot, hold the option key down when you hear the chime, hold it down until the boot manager loads, select the Mac drive to boot from, if there is no Mac drive and you have no backup then reinstall Lion from the recovery partition (cmd-r) if that is toasted it gets harder, post back.

BootCamp Assistant removed all partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.