Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth keyboard layouts

This is really annoying. Although my mother language is Portuguese, for which I have a Portuguese-layout Apple Bluetooth keyboard, I have many emails to which I have to reply and write in English. However, when I select the English language in order to use auto-correct options, spelling, etc., the HARDWARE keyboard layout changes into an English keyboard, and it is completely different from what is indicated in the keys. That is: I have to spend a HUGE amount of time trying to find the proper character.

Worse: you cannot tell the English keyboard to have the layout of a Portuguese keyboard, which would be the way to solve this problem. Therefore, I could write in Portuguese AND in English with the same hardware keyboard layout.

And this is only a matter of software, because if you select the English language you have 12 (twelve!) hardware layouts available, NONE Portuguese, which is spoken, and used, by some 240 million people worldwide.

Please do correct this, with the possible urgency.

Thank you.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 5:37 PM

This is an iPad user to user forum, so Apple will not read your post.

Maybe another user will have a suggestion for you.

You can send your comments to Apple at this link.

Apple feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

 Cheers, Tom 😉

5 replies

Jun 22, 2012 6:08 PM in response to ruibvale

ruibvale wrote:

if you select the English language you have 12 (twelve!) hardware layouts available, NONE Portuguese, which is spoken, and used, by some 240 million people worldwide.

By all means send feedback to Apple. I think part of the problem is that Apple considers the US and US International PC layouts to fit the needs of Portuguese users in Brazil and has just neglected the "Portuguese" layout used in Portugal. There is no reason they could not add it to the list. Hopefully more people will raise the issue with them (yours is the only message I have ever seen about it thus far).

Jun 22, 2012 6:10 PM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:

Here's your solution. An Apple Bluetooth Keyboard in Portugese.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC184PO/B#overview

You have misunderstood the issue. The OP already has that, but the iPad does not yet have a setting where you can use that layout while the iPad keyboard is set to English (for English spellcheck/autocorrection).

bluetooth keyboard layouts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.