Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my ipod shuffle show up on my Mac desktop and not iTunes?

I just got the 4th generation ipod shuffle and plugged it into my MacBook and it shows up on my desktop but not in iTunes. I have everything updated..why isn't it working? everything is plugged in correctly. I have already done all the troubleshooting.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:33 PM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2012 8:51 PM in response to surfingspy

If you have not done so already, restart or shut down MacBook. Start it up with the shuffle NOT connected. Run iTunes. Use this procedure to reset the shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

Connect shuffle. If you previously connected it through a USB hub, I would try it with a direct port on the MacBook, with no other USB devices connected.

Jun 22, 2012 9:07 PM in response to surfingspy

So, the first time you connected the shuffle, iTunes did not put up messages about syncing the shuffle?

When the iPod shuffle is connected, it does not appear in the iTunes sidebar (left side of window), under DEVICES? (There is a Show/Hide toggle.)

Since the shuffle appears on the Mac's Desktop, it seems to be connecting...

If it's a new or recent purchase, if you have an Apple Store nearby, you should make a reservation at the Genius Bar. If you can, take your MacBook along. If it's defective, you can see about getting it replaced.

why does my ipod shuffle show up on my Mac desktop and not iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.