Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chapter Markers help (I know...)

Ok, I've been hunting down chapter marker questions for an hour and absolutely cannot find an answer. So I hope someone can help me.

I *did* find this fantastic thread here (apple discussions) that had some good advice, but it too seems to miss the one thing I need.

That thread recommends that movies be edited on iMovie 6 (HD) and no later, for best video results. Fine. I have both iMovie 6 and iMovie 7 ('08).

Everyone says to NOT use Share -> iDVD. If I do, the picture quality will drop to zero. Ok fine. However, if I do share -> iDVD, my chapter markers are beautiful and kept.

I've read a lot of "share to media manager" or something, and I can't find that. Maybe that's in the newer iMovies? But I'm not supposed to use a newer one, since half a field is thrown out.

If I share -> Quicktime, the chapter markers are supposed to be kept. But on my word of honor, THEY ARE NOT. I open the export in quicktime, and I don't even know how to look for markers. I import the exported video into iDVD, and no chapters appear... am I supposed to tell iDVD to look for them, somehow?

Oh, btw, I'm using iDVD '08 (v.7).

Hopefully someone has an answer. If I can't do chapter markers, then fine, that'll be the only way I'll do this. But I'd love to have a super high quality video, *with* chapter markers, which just doesn't seem possible here.

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 1:14 AM

Hi

I've read a lot of "share to media manager" or something, and I can't find that.

iMovie HD6 - doesn't work like that. When editing is done (to 100% - DO NOT go back from iDVD)

(If You must - Then start a brand new iDVD project when done - else You trigger the iDVD BUG and all chapters starts as Chapter one)

(NO Chapter mark at very beginning or within 2 sec from it - or in any transition or within 2 sec from it)

Close iMovie HD6

Open iDVD

Import or just drop the iMovie movie project icon (With a black Star in it) into iDVD.

Done - and all Chapters are kept - as sub-menus "Chapters or Sceen selection" (or alike)

Yours (just tested - and works to 100% for me) - Bengt W

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2012 1:14 AM in response to keraunoscopia

Hi

I've read a lot of "share to media manager" or something, and I can't find that.

iMovie HD6 - doesn't work like that. When editing is done (to 100% - DO NOT go back from iDVD)

(If You must - Then start a brand new iDVD project when done - else You trigger the iDVD BUG and all chapters starts as Chapter one)

(NO Chapter mark at very beginning or within 2 sec from it - or in any transition or within 2 sec from it)

Close iMovie HD6

Open iDVD

Import or just drop the iMovie movie project icon (With a black Star in it) into iDVD.

Done - and all Chapters are kept - as sub-menus "Chapters or Sceen selection" (or alike)

Yours (just tested - and works to 100% for me) - Bengt W

Jun 23, 2012 10:41 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Oh wow, I hadn't read that suggestion anywhere. I'll try it, thank you! (I'll get to it in a short while, I have to move my iTunes library to another drive before I start making dvds.)

My one extra question, then, is: by dragging the iMovie movie project icon onto the iDVD, does this keep the quality at a very good rate? Since I'm not exporting anything, I'm going to assume it's as best as it can be (no compression).

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2012 11:16 PM in response to keraunoscopia

by dragging the iMovie movie project icon onto the iDVD, does this keep the quality at a very good rate?

Yes - this hinders iMovie to render and let's iDVD do this - and so much better.

Really the best DVD one ever can do is

• using interlaced SD-Video (HD yield less quality and so do progressive material)

• using iMovie HD6 or FinalCut

• direct import without iMovie rendering - or in FC - NO QuickTime Conversion

• minimum of 25Gb free space on Start-Up hard disk

• I use only Verbatim DVD

• I use DVD-R (as they play on even older DVD-players) and never +/-RW

• Pro quality encoding if movie is > 45 minutes

• set down Burn Speed to x2 or x4

• Save as a DiskImage - to test that all's OK

Good Luck

Yours Bengt W

Jun 24, 2012 11:09 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thanks for all your help Bengt, also with the thread I linked to. I dragged the iMovie icon for the main movie onto the iDVD menu, which added chapters and stuff, but I had to remove the "scene selection" sub-menu since it took too much room (considering my extras).

I did NOT try dragging iMovie icons for each of the extras (each of them being a video, not a slideshow) so I'm not sure if that would have worked, but I rendered those through iMovie as "Full Quality" Quicktime videos. I'm working with 17 year old VHS footage, so I wasn't too concerned about the quality for now...

But for future reference, could I have just dragged more iMovie icons into iDVD?

I also used Pro quality (no other choice, really, considering the length of the videos). Thanks again!!

Jun 24, 2012 1:32 PM in response to keraunoscopia

could I have just dragged more iMovie icons into iDVD?

if using iMovie HD6 - then YES

BUT do not as I did when i thought I was clever - re-naming then (QT.mov files on desktop/finder) - as this results in Silent Movies. Audio files connected to the old name.

If You want a new name - e.g. more related to content - then re-name in iDVD application in the Menu window. This will work OK.

There are some limits in iDVD

• time limit - movie + menu - and encoding quality

• max 99 movies

• max 99 Chapters

• max 99 photos per SlideShow (btw - You can have 99 of those too)

Yours Bengt W

Chapter Markers help (I know...)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.