Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay & USB port of new Airport Express

The Airport Express has a much better looking - I like it. I am interested in two features: AirPlay and USB port

AirPlay - What does this feature do with Airport Express? Can I send my presentation to Windows and Mac notebooks of the audiances provided they all use the wifi network of Airport Express?

USB port - It memtions for printer only. How can a USB port for printer only? I prefer using it with my portable hard disk in more practical conditions. Is it because it cannot provide sufficient power to run the hard disk. In this case, can I use a power adapter of hard disk and connect the hard disk for accessing the data only.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 9:22 AM

AirPlay - What does this feature do with Airport Express? Can I send my presentation to Windows and Mac notebooks of the audiances provided they all use the wifi network of Airport Express?

AirPlay is a means to stream audio and video from an iTunes source to an AirPlay-enabled speaker: AirPort Express Base Station (AX), Apple TV, or another vendor's AirPlay-enabled device. Check out the following Apple Support article for details.

USB port - It memtions for printer only. How can a USB port for printer only? I prefer using it with my portable hard disk in more practical conditions. Is it because it cannot provide sufficient power to run the hard disk. In this case, can I use a power adapter of hard disk and connect the hard disk for accessing the data only.

The issue is not related to power. It is because Apple did not include a file server function with the AirPort Express, like it does with the 802.11n AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule. There is NO option to connect a USB HDD to the Express' USB port for sharing it out to network clients.

On the other hand, if you have an actual NAS device, it can be connected to the Express' LAN port and it can then be accessible from network clients.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2012 9:22 AM in response to Ray Li1

AirPlay is a means to stream audio and video from an iTunes source to an AirPlay-enabled speaker: AirPort Express Base Station (AX), Apple TV, or another vendor's AirPlay-enabled device. Check out the following Apple Support article for details.

The issue is not related to power. It is because Apple did not include a file server function with the AirPort Express, like it does with the 802.11n AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule. There is NO option to connect a USB HDD to the Express' USB port for sharing it out to network clients.

On the other hand, if you have an actual NAS device, it can be connected to the Express' LAN port and it can then be accessible from network clients.

Sep 4, 2012 9:29 PM in response to razzintown

Another related question:

Can I use the Ethernet LAN port on the AirPort Express to stream music to my receiver? I am also planning to get a new Onkyo receiver that is equipped with an Ethernet port, which will be connected to the AirPort. Will that Ethernet connection allow AirPlay streaming on the Onkyo, or do I also need to connect the audio jack?

Thank you!!!

AirPlay & USB port of new Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.