Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 8 hyper-v

Hi All,

I'm interested in buy a 2012 MacBook Air, but will need to run Windows as part of my job.

I would like to know if the Hyper-V role can be installed running Windows 8 in Boot Camp? (The Hyper-V role requires a function called SLAT to be available on the CPU to be installed on Windows 8). I need this for testing.

I understand that Windows 8 is probably not supported at this point, but would like to know if it's currently possible.

Thanks

Adam

MacBook Air, Other OS

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 12:52 AM

35 replies

Apr 26, 2017 10:09 PM in response to Lacju

Awesome.

Now, I have hyper-V enabled the following:

1. Boot Camp 6.0 running Windows 10 (Build 10.0.14393) a.k.a Version 1607 (Anniversary Update)

2. Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Business Edition running Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10586) (Version 1511 (November Update))

Works in the year 2017 & works great on Mac Book Air 13" (Early 2015) with macOSSierra ver. 10.12.3

Also, this article helps to enable Hyper-V on Windows 10 (OSX with Parallels) https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/jj945424.aspx

To enable nested virtualization (after Windows 10 vm is installed), open the settings of Windows 10 virtual machine you have installed:

1. Click Options, and check box "Enable Adaptive Hypervsior"
  2. Click Hardware, then CPU & Memory and then expand Advanced Settings, and check box "Enable nested virtualization" and "Enable PMU virtualization". PMU Virtualization is good,if you're using virtual machines for software development, you can use a performance monitoring tool, such as Intel VTune Amplifier or OProfile, to optimize the code.
  3. When you're done with virtual machine settings, close the settings page.

Jun 23, 2012 9:02 AM in response to adamsmith_au

While the processor most assuredly could, the crux is likely, "What about Apple's implementation of its EFI based firmware."

Note Remember to check you BIOS settings. For example, VT-x has to be enabled before coreinfo.exe will tell you it's available.

Someone else with 2012 MacBook Air to try the following:

What I found:

Windows 8 Client Control Panel Window

1. In the Programs window, select the Turn Windows Features On or Off option (Figure 5).

2. In the Windows Features dialog, expand and select the Hyper-V node, and then click OK (Figure 6).
  3. After the Hyper-V installation is complete, click Restart Now in the status window (Figure 7).

Using the free Microsoft Coreinfo tool, you can easily determine if your 64-bit computer has the SLAT support required for Hyper-V on Windows 8 client. Installation of Hyper-V is a simple procedure that is initiated through the Control Panel using the Windows Features applet.

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/microsoft-hyper-v-articles /general/whats-new-windows-8-hyper-v-based-cloud-computing-part2.html

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1401.hyper-v-list-of- slat-capable-cpus-for-hosts.aspx

Microsoft’s Hyper-V virtualization technology will come to Windows 8, marking the first time the software is available in both the server and desktop versions of Windows, Microsoft confirmed today.

SLAT is a form of hardware virtualization that is included in newer versions of Intel and AMD processors, such as Intel’s Core i3, i5 and i7 processors and AMD’s Barcelona processors. Hyper-V always required some form of hardware virtualization, but this is more restrictive than the current specs.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2011/09/hyper-v-coming-to-windows-8with-new-hard ware-virtualization-requirement/

http://www.howtogeek.com/73318/how-to-check-if-your-cpu-supports-second-level-ad dress-translation-slat/

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc835722

Second Level Address Translation (SLAT).” This lets the hardware handle multiple translation lookaside buffers, on a one-per-VM basis (which is just what’s needed to sidestep the potential performance bottleneck that could otherwise occur). It looks like Microsoft simply opted to avoid potential performance problems from older hardware that might otherwise experience significant delays on the desktop to bypass potential customer complaints. In light of Armstrong’s admonitions to use the SVGA driver, choose a low-end graphics card, or turn off advanced graphics features, I find this decision “interesting” (in the sense of the Chinese curse) but also eminently understandable and defensible.

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/vista-enterprise-desktop/the-real-secr et-behind-slat-and-hyper-v-for-windows-8/

Jun 24, 2012 5:07 AM in response to adamsmith_au

I was hoping another 2012 MBA would stop by and be able to check their system :-(

So I wanted to put the basics out here.

Almost every thread and attempt though to use Hyper-V on Macs (Mac Pro, Mini) has been unsuccessful.

There are a lot of new MBA owners using Windows, they were alll complaining on Day 1 when the support software to download drivers was not up.

There is one person that I ran across here that is handy with using VHDs and would be the perfect person to ask.

My Mac is too old and does not.

Jun 27, 2012 5:06 AM in response to adamsmith_au

I have just (in the last 24 hours) received my new 2012 i5 macbook air 8gb Ram.

I, like yourself would like to run Hyper-V with Windows 8 (in the process of doing my microsoft certs), just setting my air up last night I installed Hyper-V and created a virtual machine, the machine booted fine (although no operating system as I didnt have time to give that a full test), but my experience in the past is the machine wouldnt even turn on if the CPU/Bios didnt support the virtualisation features.

So I am going to say that it works although I will confirm this tonight.

Jul 28, 2012 9:00 AM in response to adamsmith_au

According to this, if the CPU support VT-x with EPT, then SLAT is supported. Next, the Core i7 at least in the 2011 MBP does have VT-x with EPT support. Apple EFI and CSM-BIOS are non-configurable but as I am leveraging VT-x with VirtualBox I see no evidence that VT-x is being suppressed with EFI mode boot.

But for Windows 8, for now it's still CSM-BIOS mode boot (not EFI). But again, no evidence the CSM is supressing VT-x or EPT.

FWIW, for people new to Apple hardware and Windows, that you never resize volumes from within Windows, it makes a huge mess because while NTFS can be resized, the resizing alters the MBR entries, but not the corresponding GPT entries that Mac OS depends on. So decide on your partition scheme and live with it.

Jul 28, 2012 9:40 AM in response to The hatter

Having not used CampTune, only the Apple provided resizing tools for JHFS+/X, I've found it's somewhat fragile. It'll work much of the time, but way too often it will fail to resize up or down. The equivalent error message in Boot Camp Assistant is that you need to repartition the disk with a single partition and start from scratch. Which is really annoying.

Occasionally, an HFS+ catalog rebuild will solve this problem, but it's not a feature available in the Disk Utility GUI for some reason. That's the fsck_hfs -r flag. And also occasionally, deleting the Recovery HD partition entirely will solve the problem and allow a resize to proceed, likewise irritating because that problem could be prevented had Apple chosen to place Recovery HD as GPT #2 between EFI System and the primary Mac OS volume.

Dec 25, 2013 1:38 AM in response to mds1256

Hello mds1256

I have a Macbook Pro 2013 October 15" with 16GB and Windows 8.1 on bootcamp.

When I try to add-in the Hyper V platform feature, it is ghosted out because presumably Windows expects Hyper V enabled in the bios that my shiney new mac does not have.

I am doing this to run cert labs for SQL Server 2012 as I have the environment files.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Dec 25, 2013 8:47 AM in response to Christopher Murphy

Locate a Windows utility that will show if the required support is available. This is kinda old but it or something like it might work. A 2008 laptop of mine booting linux in EFI mode has the required support, however Apple's Windows support is via a "bridge" called an EFI Compatibility Support Module which presents a BIOS to Windows. It might be that the required CPU features aren't available via the CSM-BIOS.

Dec 25, 2013 12:21 PM in response to Christopher Murphy

Hello Christopher Murphy

Seasonal greetings to you buddy.

Ive used Coreinfo from Sysinternals and have my output below. This laptoop was only released October 2013 so it cant be like the hardware does not support virtualisation. Ive seen one forum say there was some kind of recent fix by Apply software updates on the software side, but not sure how this was activated / used.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Intel64 Family 6 Model 70 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel
HTT * Hyperthreading enabled
HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
SVM - Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization
EM64T * Supports 64-bit mode

SMX * Supports Intel trusted execution
SKINIT - Supports AMD SKINIT

NX * Supports no-execute page protection
SMEP * Supports Supervisor Mode Execution Prevention
SMAP - Supports Supervisor Mode Access Prevention
PAGE1GB * Supports 1 GB large pages
PAE * Supports > 32-bit physical addresses
PAT * Supports Page Attribute Table
PSE * Supports 4 MB pages
PSE36 * Supports > 32-bit address 4 MB pages
PGE * Supports global bit in page tables
SS * Supports bus snooping for cache operations
VME * Supports Virtual-8086 mode
RDWRFSGSBASE * Supports direct GS/FS base access

FPU * Implements i387 floating point instructions
MMX * Supports MMX instruction set
MMXEXT - Implements AMD MMX extensions
3DNOW - Supports 3DNow! instructions
3DNOWEXT - Supports 3DNow! extension instructions
SSE * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
SSE3 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
SSSE3 * Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3
SSE4a - Supports Sreaming SIMDR Extensions 4a
SSE4.1 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1
SSE4.2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2

AES * Supports AES extensions
AVX * Supports AVX intruction extensions
FMA * Supports FMA extensions using YMM state
MSR * Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions
MTRR * Supports Memory Type Range Registers
XSAVE * Supports XSAVE/XRSTOR instructions
OSXSAVE * Supports XSETBV/XGETBV instructions
RDRAND * Supports RDRAND instruction
RDSEED - Supports RDSEED instruction

CMOV * Supports CMOVcc instruction
CLFSH * Supports CLFLUSH instruction
CX8 * Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions
CX16 * Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction
BMI1 * Supports bit manipulation extensions 1
BMI2 * Supports bit manipulation extensions 2
ADX - Supports ADCX/ADOX instructions
DCA - Supports prefetch from memory-mapped device
F16C * Supports half-precision instruction
FXSR * Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions
FFXSR - Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction
MONITOR * Supports MONITOR and MWAIT instructions
MOVBE * Supports MOVBE instruction
ERMSB * Supports Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB
PCLULDQ * Supports PCLMULDQ instruction
POPCNT * Supports POPCNT instruction
LZCNT * Supports LZCNT instruction
SEP * Supports fast system call instructions
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
HLE * Supports Hardware Lock Elision instructions
RTM * Supports Restricted Transactional Memory instructions

DE * Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE
DTES64 * Can write history of 64-bit branch addresses
DS * Implements memory-resident debug buffer
DS-CPL * Supports Debug Store feature with CPL
PCID * Supports PCIDs and settable CR4.PCIDE
INVPCID * Supports INVPCID instruction
PDCM * Supports Performance Capabilities MSR
RDTSCP * Supports RDTSCP instruction
TSC * Supports RDTSC instruction
TSC-DEADLINE * Local APIC supports one-shot deadline timer
TSC-INVARIANT * TSC runs at constant rate
xTPR * Supports disabling task priority messages

EIST * Supports Enhanced Intel Speedstep
ACPI * Implements MSR for power management
TM * Implements thermal monitor circuitry
TM2 * Implements Thermal Monitor 2 control
APIC * Implements software-accessible local APIC
x2APIC * Supports x2APIC

CNXT-ID - L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOS

MCE * Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE
MCA * Implements Machine Check Architecture
PBE * Supports use of FERR#/PBE# pin

PSN - Implements 96-bit processor serial number

PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Maximum implemented CPUID leaves: 0000000D (Basic), 80000008 (Extended).

Logical to Physical Processor Map:
**------ Physical Processor 0 (Hyperthreaded)
--**---- Physical Processor 1 (Hyperthreaded)
----**-- Physical Processor 2 (Hyperthreaded)
------** Physical Processor 3 (Hyperthreaded)

Logical Processor to Socket Map:
******** Socket 0

Logical Processor to NUMA Node Map:
******** NUMA Node 0

Logical Processor to Cache Map:
**------ Data Cache 0, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
**------ Instruction Cache 0, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
**------ Unified Cache 0, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
******** Unified Cache 1, Level 3, 6 MB, Assoc 12, LineSize 64
******** Unified Cache 2, Level 4, 128 MB, Assoc 16, LineSize 1024
--**---- Data Cache 1, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
--**---- Instruction Cache 1, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
--**---- Unified Cache 3, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
----**-- Data Cache 2, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
----**-- Instruction Cache 2, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
----**-- Unified Cache 4, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
------** Data Cache 3, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
------** Instruction Cache 3, Level 1, 32 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64
------** Unified Cache 5, Level 2, 256 KB, Assoc 8, LineSize 64

Logical Processor to Group Map:
******** Group 0

C:\Users\Windows8User\Desktop>

Dec 25, 2013 5:57 PM in response to AbandonmentIssues

WORKING!!

I had put the error message into Google:

'Virtualization not enabled in the firmware'

Saw on a fix for Macbook Air 13" that you must purshase / install Parallels and run it. Then Reboot into Windows.

Well I was lucky enough to had also bought Parallels, tried the above anbd then I manage to get the option to Add-In the Windows Feature.

Hope Apple manage to fix this proiperly.

windows 8 hyper-v

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.