Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 9 memory issues

Hi,

I've been having a lot of memory issues with Logic 9 lately. I have a late 2011 iMac and recently upgraded to 16 gb's of RAM in hopes of resolving this issue, but no luck. I'm running Logic 9 in 32-bit mode with Reason 6 rewired. As I open my activity monitor it shows I have 12 gb of RAM free, but as I try to open Reason it gives me a memory error "application cannot run, not enough memory". Also, I can't load more than 3-4 instances of heavy sample based plug-ins due to this memory issue, in this case the activity monitor also shows more than 12 gb free memory.

This is driving me nuts! Before I got the iMac I was working on a 2009 17" MacBook Pro, and memory issues were rare back then.

I really can't seem to get my head around this. Appreciate any help! Thanks.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), 27", SSD, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 11:04 AM

You should run Logic in 64 bit mode. And Reason too, if it can. In 32 bit modus the theoretical RAM use limit for any app is 4 GB, in practice this is about 2,5 GB in Logics' case. More than that, and you're getting into all sorts of trouble, as you have seen. Only in 64 bit mode can Logic use all your available RAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3989

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2012 11:04 AM in response to gubbtjyv

You should run Logic in 64 bit mode. And Reason too, if it can. In 32 bit modus the theoretical RAM use limit for any app is 4 GB, in practice this is about 2,5 GB in Logics' case. More than that, and you're getting into all sorts of trouble, as you have seen. Only in 64 bit mode can Logic use all your available RAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3989

Jun 23, 2012 11:56 AM in response to Eriksimon

Thank you very much!

I never tried that out because I just assumed that ment bye-bye to all my 32-bit plugins.

Do you have any experience with the 32-bit audio units bridge? Is it reliable?

I have another issue though, which is sort of off topic. Now that I'm in 64-bit mode I have less problem loading heavy sample based audio units, but as I do that to see what the machines made of I get CPU spikes on justone core, as the image shows, and the other ones does not even move. I have logic set to Automatic on Processing Threads, and have also tried manually setting it to 8 but no difference..

User uploaded file

Logic 9 memory issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.