Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme connection timeout [Verizon][Actiontec]

Airport Extreme A1143 circa 2007 7.6.1 firmware

Actiontec MI424-WR Rev F

Everything was playing nicely until 3-4 months ago. Then I started getting connection timeouts. Mainly on my MacBook Pro (5,1 Late 2008). I didnt have time to troubleshoot so I toggled the radio on the Actiontec back on and I used that for internet. I began troubleshooting yesterday (standard hard resets and power cycling of both actiontec and AEBS) and can only get hardwired connections to work, no wireless on any devices. I dropped into the apple store and he were able to setup a network and join an Air, a 3GS, iphone 4, Airport Express, and my Macbook. Went back home, followed the same procedure and nothing.

Network Architecture

Verizon Fios Actiontec - Radio off

Airport Extreme Base Station - Radio On - WPA2

Ethernet - Desktop Computer

Ethernet - Switch

Mac Mini

Blu Ray

AppleTV (2nd gen)

Wireless

Airport Express (stream music)

2 x iPhone 4

2 x iPad

AppleTV (2nd gen)

Macbook Pro (Lion)

Macbook (Leopard/Snow Leopard)

I do a hard restart on the AEBS, set it up and after the restart I get "Could not join "[SSID]". A connection timout occured." on both the Mabooks. The iPhone or iPads are mainly "Unable to join the network "[SSID]". Occasionally there is a rouge connection but that is rare. The AppleTV either fail or dont see it at all. Anything that is hardlined works fine.

I can find no consistant functioning baseline to work off of. This is disappointing because of how dependable the router was for so long. Any suggestions for eliminating possibilities at this point would be great.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (1st Gen)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:38 AM

2 replies

Sep 6, 2012 7:15 PM in response to HMLJ

I've been having the same problem for about the same amount of time. Wireless just randomly stops working on my Airport Extreme, while Ethernet connections are unaffected. There seems to be no consistent fix. Sometimes restarting the router fixes it; sometimes not. Sometimes rebooting the Macbook Pro (ethernet connection) fixes it; sometimes not. Sometimes it just starts working again (which leads to believe that any seeming fixes were in fact just coincidences and not fixes at all).

I even reset my rounter last night after a prolonged outtage, but the same thing happened again tonight.

Airport Extreme connection timeout [Verizon][Actiontec]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.