Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto update and Won't open and lost all of my images !?!

I'm a photography student and store my images in iphoto, I updated it today, once its finished I go to look in iphoto and it says that my mac is too old for the newer version! ITS LESS THAN 6 MONTHS OLD! I then went onto finder to see if my images are still there and theres nothing there! Please can someone try and help me retreive them, Theres photos that I need in order to finish my degree!!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 9:25 AM

10 replies

Jun 23, 2012 11:17 AM in response to jadeevans12

To help you we need acurate information

what version of iPhoto did you have? What version were you trying to update to? What exact error message did yoou get (your mac is too old is not the exact error message) As to the finder that is not a supported way of accessing your photos and is dangerous - any small change to the iPhoto library using the library can cause data loss

To see if your photos are there go to the iPhoto library (by default in the pictures folder) and right click on it and show package contents - you photos will be in a folder names originals or masteres depending onthe version -- do NOT make any changes of any sort - just look to verify your photos are there

Probably the easiest solutiono is going to be to restore your backup from before the problem occured

LN

Jun 24, 2012 2:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence

I also fell foul of this update a couple of weeks ago. In Pictures the icon for my iPhoto library is now a red flower not the yello one with the palm tree. When I try and open iPhoto I get the box 'Updatıng Thumbnails' and then immidiatly below a message 'Your photo library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened. Please resore from Back Up'.

I plugged in the external with my backed up library and we told it needed to update the library to open it. I am concerned this will mss up like the library on my MBP.

I have Time Machine, but is there any option other than going back? I have done a fair bit on other applications before ı realised my iPhoto problem, I have backed that up but want to avoid TM if I can!

I think I know the answer but if there is a solution you will know! I think I owe you a beeer or two already!

Jules

Jun 24, 2012 5:43 AM in response to julesnewtoMac

I plugged in the external with my backed up library and we told it needed to update the library to open it. I am concerned this will mss up like the library on my MBP.

Copy this Library to your Main Hard Drive (a different folder than the current iPhoto Library) and open it with iPhoto:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

It will open and update the Library. If it works, trash the damaged one and put this one it it's place.

With Time Machine you can restore just elements, you don't have to restore the whole system

Regards

TD

iPhoto update and Won't open and lost all of my images !?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.