Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reconnect my music after consolidating library?

I consolidated my iTunes library to an external drive, and it moved all the songs over there. Seems to have worked properly.

(I went through Preferences > Advanced > Change > select new folder on external drive > OK; then, File > Library > Consolidate)

Now, before I throw my library away on my HD, I wanted to make an extra backup on another drive. With my first external drive (the now-consolidated iTunes) no longer plugged in, I thought iTunes would be able to read the entire library on my laptop's HD, but it won't recognize any of the songs. So I did Preferences > Advanced > Change > and selected the current iTunes library... and that didn't work. So I rebooted iTunes holding down the option key and chose the Library file on my HD, and *that* hasn't worked either.

This isn't a huge deal. But hopefully I didn't screw everything up. Should I simply copy/drag the iTunes folder to the 2nd external drive? Or should I consolidate the iTunes library from my 1st HD to the 2nd HD?

My dilemma is that I want the 2nd HD to be the backup, and the 1st HD to be the music I read from or update my iPod from every so often. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have done this in reverse order (consolidate to 2nd HD first, then 1st HD second).

What can I do to reconnect my iTunes to either my HD or my 1st external HD without have to find each and every song?

Using iTunes 10

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 10:47 AM

There are no replies.

How to reconnect my music after consolidating library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.