Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gradual Choppy Audio Failure in Mainstage

Hi, today I purchased and downloaded Mainstage 2.2.2 for my Macbook Pro (Early 2011, 8GB Ram). I also have a similar issue with Mainstage 2.0 on my 2009 iMac, I hoped the problem would've been solved with the new version, but the exact same one exists.

I use a Presonus FIrestudo Mobile for MIDI and Audio hookup in Mainstage 2 via Firewire. The MIDI works perfectly with my keyboard. When I plug in guitar orvarious keyboards for audio however, they work great for about 30 seconds, then they start introducing static noises along with distortion as if the CPU is overloading, but the CPU meter is fine.

I've tried everything so far, the buffer size, toggling I/O latency settings, updating my driver, switching the soundcard settings, firewire cables etc. The strange thing is, whenever I change a setting on my soundcard or in Mainstage, the problem goes away completely for about 30-45 seconds, and then comes back. Its very upsetting.

ANOTHER strange thing is that I use the same setup for recording in Logic, and I've had this exact same problem in the past, but then I switchedd Plug-In Latency in audio prefrences to 'Off' and the problem vanished permenantly. This leads me to believe there is a similar problem with Mainstage 2 software, but there is no Plug-In Latency setting in Mainstage 2 at all, so I can't switch it to off and fix this like I did in Logic.

If anyone has ANY idea how to do this or anything I haven't tried yet that would be amazing. It's very disheating that this strange problem is happening to me and is preventing me from using this almost perfect piece of software, but I cannot perform with the audio distorting 30 seconds after I change a setting. Thank you

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 12:47 PM

8 replies

Jul 4, 2013 3:07 PM in response to Rosenfred

FIXED: I see people are still coming here so I should share something that might help. Well, it wasn't exactly a fix as much as I found a workaround, but it's been working perfectly ever since I've done this.

• Go to utlilities > audio MIDI setup.

• Then, go to the plus in the bottom left corner and "create agregate device".

• Now you'll have a new agregate device in the left window. Click on it. In the right side of the window you should see all audio devices that are available in there. Find the interface you want to use that's causing you trouble in there, and click the check box next to it.

• You can right click on the device title it to change it's name. Now basically what you've done is created a new virtual audio device that takes the interface you want to use as an input and outputs it through itself. You can now select it from any program you want uner the audio inputs options and it should work fine. I don't know why this works but it's been working perfectly for me ever since. Hope this helps anyone!

Gradual Choppy Audio Failure in Mainstage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.