You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what are pros and cons of buying ipad at Best Buy versus Apple Store?

iPad 2

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 1:11 PM

10 replies

Jun 23, 2012 1:18 PM in response to bobmancuso

I bought both of my iPads at Best Buy Stores. I see absolutely no difference at all other than if you want to purchase the relatively new AppleCare+ warranty - the one that allows for two incidents of accidental damage with a $49 up charge to get the iPad repaired or replaced which "must be purchased at the same time of the purchase of the iPad" - there is no difference IMO.

Frankly, I was even able to purchase the AppleCare+ over the phone, which I understand is very unusual because the terms state that you have to buy this plan online when you purchase the iPad - or you must buy it an Apple Store within a certain period of time. You have to let an Apple Genius inspect the device, I think.

I bought my new iPad at Best Buy, called Apple the next day, told them what I wanted, and they sold me the plan over the phone,

Jun 23, 2012 1:23 PM in response to Demo

When I bought my iPad 1 USED, on eBay, I had a 30 day window to buy my SquareTrade warranty, got a TWO YEAR warranty for $64, anything happens to my iPad 1 during those two years, call SquareTrade, they send me a Prepaid shipping label I send the iPad 1 to them, within 7 days my original purchase price of $274.99 is back in my Paypal account. I LOVE IT! Didn't even have to leave my house or get out of my robe, YEA!

Jun 23, 2012 1:30 PM in response to lovemyusedipad

Yes, I do realize that there are other insurance policies/warranties for the iPad out there on the market. But my point is that I see no reason to go to an Apple Store to make the purchase - unless the OP does want the AppleCare+ warranty.

If you know exactly what you want when you go to make the purchase, I don't think it matters where you buy the device. If you have questions about the way the iPad works or about some of the features, you might be better off in an Apple Store. Otherwise ... no advantage IMO.

Jan 12, 2013 10:09 PM in response to bobmancuso

Best Buy: I believe Best Buy may have even broader warranty plans. Must compare.

Apple: For a computer or laptop purchase, the ONE TO ONE, which costs a mere $99.00 is absolutely the most valuable addon that exists. For ONE YEAR-the new MAC owner can schedule for a PRIVATE ONE TO ONE consult/tutoring/project session with an Apple Tech Genius. Whether you are just learning to work on a MAC, want to perfect your MAC skills, or are working on a specific project and need to generate the results you are looking for, on one software or a combination...you have a 'genius' to be your exclusive consultant...and you can do this over FIFTY TIMES in one year. Granted, you have to go to the store for your hour consultant session, but relatively speaking, thats neglible. When I have someone come to help me with computer issues, they charge $100.00 per hour, and its usually at least two hours. With the APPLE ONE TO ONE you can have the luxury of over FIFTY (50) hours of EXPERT consult...for a one time fee of $99.00. I have been advised you can only purchase the ONE TO ONE if you purchase your MAC desktop or laptop...from Apple.

Sunny

Jan 12, 2013 10:36 PM in response to bobmancuso

Apple Store products are guaranteed to be new.

Best Buy products, even if repackaged, can be items that were returned to Apple or other Best Buys, Refurbs, etc.

They're all great, but if you absolutely want to know that the device is BRAND new, then go to the Apple Store. Also, the Geniuses, while not the brightest ALL the time, are much more knowledgeable than the Best Buy staff, as they receive extensive training from Apple.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.