Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get "watch movies instantly" on Netflix using Safari

Hi, I have a Mac PowerBook running OS X 10.5.8, and I just signed up for Netflix. However after attempting to watch my first movie "instantly" using Safari, the system requirements page came up instead of the movie. After reading the system requirements I have determined I meet all of them (an intel based Mac running OSX 10.4.11 or higher, Safari 3 or higher, and 1 GB of RAM), my internet connection is also fast enough, I'm using a 802.11n wi-fi connection. I contacted Netflix tech support who sent me a download for Microsoft Silverlight, saying that all I needed was the newer version. I downloaded that update, however this had no effect on my problem. Once again the system requirements page came up.

I called Netflix again. The Netfix tech advisor told me that the settings on safari are probably to blame, but they said they did not know the correct settings to make it work. They advised me to contact apple or use another internet browser. I downloaded Firefox 13, however when I tried to open the Firefox application an error message came up, "You can't open this application "firefox" because it is not supported on this arcitecture".

I don't know what my next step should be. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), safari settings problems

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 2:55 PM

Hello,

You say the system requirement states an intel based Mac. You say you own a PowerBook. A PowerBook does not have an intel chipset but is more than likely to have a PPC G4. Could this be why it shows you the system requirements page I wonder.

If you go to the apple logo top left, then about this mac. Look at the information it provides and see if you do have a PowerBook G4 or an intel MacBook. Let us know.

Good luck

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2012 2:55 PM in response to heather1021

Hello,

You say the system requirement states an intel based Mac. You say you own a PowerBook. A PowerBook does not have an intel chipset but is more than likely to have a PPC G4. Could this be why it shows you the system requirements page I wonder.

If you go to the apple logo top left, then about this mac. Look at the information it provides and see if you do have a PowerBook G4 or an intel MacBook. Let us know.

Good luck

Jun 24, 2012 7:44 AM in response to heather1021

I downloaded Firefox 13, however when I tried to open the Firefox application an error message came up, "You can't open this application "firefox" because it is not supported on this arcitecture".

That is a clear indication you do not have the required Intel processor.

There is no way to upgrade you current computer to be compatible with Netflix streaming.

Unable to get "watch movies instantly" on Netflix using Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.