Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to reset admin password

i have 2 user accounts on my macbook, 1 regular user and 1 admin account. the problem is i can't remember the password for the admin account and the "reset password using apple id" dialogue doesn't come up. i don't have the OS installer. is there a way i can reset this without bringing it to an apple store?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 7:21 PM

3 replies

Jun 23, 2012 8:18 PM in response to rchow

Boot into Recovery by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the Mac OS X Utilities screen appears, select Utilities Terminal from the menu bar.

In the Terminal window, enter “resetpassword” and press return. A Reset Password window opens.

Select your boot volume if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Follow the prompts to reset the password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9.

Select Restart from the menu bar.

You should now be able to log in with the new password, but you won't be able to unlock the Keychain. If you've forgotten the Keychain password (which is ordinarily the same as your login password), there's no way to recover it. You’ll need to reset your keychain in the preferences of the Keychain Access application.

need to reset admin password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.