Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crashed Hard Drive and Reloading iPod Classic?

With over 1,500 songs on my iPod, when my hard drive crashed, I was praying to any divine spirit that would listen that I wouldn't have to completely reset all my iTunes folders and reload each folder with my music from both my backup and iTunes Library purchases.

I've got conflicting advice.

One advisor claims that all I have to do is hook up my iPod and the folders and music will resync FROM my iPod.

Another advisor claims that would be a bad thing; that the iPod would sync with whatever is in iTunes--wiping out everything previously existing in iPod.

So who is right on this? Do I really have to refill each of the folders with literally over a thousand songs? Or will the iPod reload the folders?

Or is there another option that will help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 7:38 PM

1 reply

Jun 23, 2012 7:56 PM in response to Banktank

As far as iTunes is concerned, it is one way transfer from iTunes to iPod and not the other way except for ratings, playcounts, OTG playlist and metadata, but never songs or video.

Your 2nd advisor, is quite correct, if you put iTunes on "Auto-Sync", it will earse everthing on the iPod and replced it with the library content, so if you have an empty library, the results will be an empty iPod.

Sack the first advisor, the music in the iPod will never resync back to the Mac, you need some 3rd party software, refer tothis earlier post.

Just choose from any of the huge list.

Crashed Hard Drive and Reloading iPod Classic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.