8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2012 4:01 PM by thomas_r.
amd027 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

A while ago, my laptop starting booting up really slowly. I have looked at several answers and tried troubleshooting to no avail. Can anyone walk me through a fix? I am running 10.7.4.

thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • 1. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please
    Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (89,730 points)

Hi..

How much free space on the startup disk?

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon on your Desktop.

Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available.

Make sure there's a minimum of 15% free disk space.

I have looked at several answers and tried troubleshooting to no avail.

We have no way of knowing what you have tried that didn't work unless you tell us  

Remove any items in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items

And in System Preferences > General

Deselect:  Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps

• 2. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please

I did those and it helped speed up booting about 30sec.

Re: what I have tried...cleaned cache, deleted documents, files, apps, routine virus scan (Virus Barrier Express).

Any more ideas out there, please let me know!

thank you!

• 3. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please

forgot-- I have more than 50% on my startup left

• 4. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please
    thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (27,985 points)

routine virus scan (Virus Barrier Express).

It's possible this may be the problem.  Try uninstalling Virus Barrier and see if that helps.

You could always reinstall it if you want after, if removing it doesn't help, but if you want AV software I would recommend ClamXav or Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition, both of which are free and won't cause any performance issues.  For more information on this sort of thing, see my Mac Malware Guide.

If this doesn't help, try some of the other suggestions on the Mac OS X Speed FAQ.

• 5. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please

I moved it to the trash- every time I do a search on how to uninstall, that is what the answer is. if there is another way, let me know.

thanks

I'm still trying, this is so frustrationg.

now I cannot open my mail- I had to get it off my phone

• 6. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please

I moved it to the trash- every time I do a search on how to uninstall, that is what the answer is. if there is another way, let me know.

Moving it to the trash is not adequate.  You need to use the installer provided by Intego.  You can download one from here:

http://www.integodownload.com/mac/X/IntegoUninstaller.dmg

now I cannot open my mail- I had to get it off my phone

That's definitely not normal, and is indicative that you may have something more serious going on than simple performance issues.

I would advise holding down command-R at startup to enter recovery mode.  From there, open Disk Utility and use it to repair the hard drive.  (While you're at it, you could repair permissions as well, but do the hard drive repair and make sure it completes successfully first.)  If the disk can't be repaired, you have very serious hard drive issues.  (Hopefully you have backups?)

Also, how much free space do you have on your hard drive?

• 7. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please

94GB free out of 124GB on my storage; my memory is 2

after I out the virus express in the trash and used force empty trash from that link you sent, I got my mail again

I downloaded the ininstaller and when I open it, it says check what to uninstall but the box is empty...?

• 8. Re: macbook really slow to boot up, help please

The problem is that you deleted the main part of it (the application), and not finding that, the uninstaller is probably not looking further.  Yet there will be other components still active somewhere.  You may need to reinstall it so that the uninstaller will work properly.

Edit: Oh, and your free space is fine, no problem there.