Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod doesn't display any playlists on menu

OK, so...I just synced my iPod to iTunes. All looks fine except...I no longer have any playlists on the menu. Meaning, the term PLAYLISTS is missing from the directory of possibilities (Music, Cover Flow, Artists, Album, Songs, Audiobooks, Search, etc.). My music is all still on the iPod, but...no PLAYLISTS on the menu. What gives? And more important - how do I get it back?

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 9:11 PM

7 replies

Jun 25, 2012 1:34 PM in response to Philip7

Make sure you are using the latest version of iTunes which, at the time of writing, is iTunes 10.6.3.25. This version has corrected a Playlist problem (such as disappearing Playlists) that has existed in iTunes for the last several updates.

For those who have noticed it, there is still a small issue with the latest version when using an iPod Classic, but the main issue has been corrected. (The small issue is that empty On-The-Go Playlists are created whenever an On-The-Go is transferred from the Classic.)

... Just seen your response to planb77's post, so feel free to ignore my suggestion. Is may however, be of use to others, so I'll leave it posted.

Message was edited by: the fiend

Jun 25, 2012 1:41 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks, the fiend! I did update to the latest version of iTunes when I was troubleshooting. Didn't solve the problem (at least from my technologically-challenged perspective), but probably a good idea anyway. Interesting you should mention the "On-The-Go" problem, as that seems to be happening also. Pops up on my iPod all the time, though I never create/use it. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2012 1:58 PM in response to Philip7

I suspect (but cannot prove) that we all experience slightly different symptoms when the On-The-Go goes wrong, depending on which version of Windows we have. And I don't just mean between Windows XP and Windows 7. There are the "Home", "student" and professional versions to consider, along with the different PC vendor versions.

I have sent yet another bug report in about the On-The-Go problem, which is an iTunes one, not an iPod one. The original issue deleted every single Playlist from my iPod Touch and my iTunes Library. But with my iPod Classic (different user on the same PC), it simply refused to copy On-The-Go Playllists back in to iTunes while creating empty ones instead. With iTunes 10.6.3.25, the Touch appears to work correctly and while the Classic does now import the Playlist, it still creates empty ones to go with them!

ipod doesn't display any playlists on menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.