Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

back up memory question

I have a 512GB HD in my 6 year old MacBook Pro, but will be upgrading to a new Macbook Pro with a 256GB SSD. I moved a lot of memory over to a external hard drive so that I would be well under 256GB. In looking how much memory I have on my computer I would be well under now, but it still says I have 70+GB "Back Up Memory". Does that "Back Up Memory" count against my total memory and/or will it go away when I switch over to the new MacBook Pro?

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 8:41 PM

11 replies

Jun 24, 2012 7:37 AM in response to jeffpish

They shouldn't be on your internal drive in the first place. If you keep an external for TM as it seems you do, be sure your TM backups are writing to that disk by choosing it in TM Preferences. If you see backups on your internal see Pondini's Time Machinde Tips

I run TM and my Storage looks like this...

User uploaded file

(Note that I am only using 1 partition of the external, so the numbers don't add up to 1TB)

Jun 24, 2012 7:48 AM in response to jeffpish

Just as a point of information: If Time Machine is enabled a notebook computer running Lion will keep "local snapshots", which are temporary backups of stuff - stored on the hard drive - until a TM disk is connected.

You can use these local snapshots via Time Machine even if your backup volume is not mounted - try it!

charlie

back up memory question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.