Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16GB RAM 1600Mhz

Hi, I have a 13" late 2011 @ 2,4GHz i5 and I have bought 16GB RAM @1600Mhz.

I was wonderring if the 1600MHz RAM would work because I've seen people with it working just fine. Now I'm asking this because if I just spend 150 bucks for nothing I'll be p*ssed! And don't forget my MBP is a 13 inch not a 15!!

Thanks,

Thomas

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 750GB HD, 2.4 GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 5:20 AM

28 replies

Jun 24, 2012 5:46 AM in response to Thomas Lentati

Mac's are very picky abour RAM, and you should only use RAM spec'd specifically for your Mac. Unfortunately, that is not the correct RAM for your computer. You need to return it & purchase:

1333MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM PC10600 204 Pin

Even if it did work...and there is a good chance it won't...you won't get the benefit of the faster RAM anyway. Return it & purchase the proper RAM for your computer.

Jun 24, 2012 6:50 AM in response to Thomas Lentati

Just because it works, how do you know that it will work as well as the correct RAM?

Some people have done this but offer no proof how well the RAM actually performs. Until some controlled benchtests are performed by a knowlwdgeable laboratory, this issue is at best wishful thinking on part of those who believe that some advantage will be gained by installing higher frequency RAM than specified.

Ciao.

Jun 24, 2012 9:35 AM in response to Thomas Lentati

There are 2 different voltage for DDR3 now on Macbooks.

DDR3 (L) for 2012 Macbooks 1600MHz 1.3 - 1.35 Volts.

DDR3 for 2011 Macbooks 1333Mhz 1.5 Volts.

If you've purchased the 1600MHz 1.3 - 1.35Volts and are using it in your 2011 Macbook, the chances of it working are close to none.

If however, you bought the 1.5 volt version of the 1600MHz, it might or might not work with your Macbook, some people might have had success on using them in their Macbook. But that doesn't mean that it would work with your Macbook. Unless you bought the same brand and model as the others who had them working in theirs.

In any event, why not just return it and get the right one? Most resellers might not accept returns but I'm sure they'll do an exchange since you'be got the wrong RAM.

Jun 24, 2012 9:51 AM in response to Thomas Lentati

NOTE: If you purchased the 1.3 - 1.35 volt version, I suggest you don't try it in your MB. You might not only damage the RAM due to the higher voltage your MB puts out (1.5), you might even damage your MB. It might not likely happen but why take a chance.

Check your RAM modules and see what voltage it is. If it's 1.5 volts then go ahead and try, otherwise, just return and exchange them.

Good luck.

Yes, I do drive a 7 series BMW.

MacBook Pro 16GB RAM 1600Mhz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.