Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you open word, excel and other attachments on an ipad?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 5:46 AM

7 replies

Jun 24, 2012 6:15 AM in response to GreenorNatural

You'll need to invest in a productivity suite like iWork or Quick Office Pro.

iWork is three seperate apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) for $9.99 each. They'll import the Office formats & then convert them to their native formats. You do have the option to export those files back to the Office formats (the same effect as a Save As command on a desktop computer but from the "Export" option list). I have seen some reports though that importing Office, modifying the documents in iWork, then exporting them has caused some file corruption. That is misaligned text or completely illegible documents if exported to PDFs. This has become better as the iWork programs have been updated however, and aren't nearly as bad when iWork first debuted.

Your other option is Quick Office Pro, and the one I would strongly tell you to consider is half the price at $14.99 (the Quick Office Pro HD is for iPad & is $19.99) and fully supports the Office '07 file types (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc). I use it frequently for Word & Excel files that I couldn't live without it. Due to the odd issues described above I've never been a fan of iWork on mobile devices or on my Macs. It also integrates with cloud-storage solutions outside of the Apple ecosystem. Quote: "...with an integrated file management solution with convenient access to multiple cloud service providers including MobileMe, Dropbox, Google® Docs, Box.net, Huddle and SugarSync. ."

As of now however there is no support for iCloud, though that should be coming soon. I personally use Box.net on my Macs & my Windows system for cloud storage.

This is the link on the app store if you want to read the full list of features:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quickoffice-pro/id310723177?mt=8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.