Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen After Latest Intel HD3000 Graphics Driver Update

Hi,

Not sure when this happened, but recently have got a Black Screen just after the Starting Windows animation has finished. The computer

is working, but its just like the screen has gone off when you put it down to super minimum brightness.

Did a lot of fiddling and narrowed it down to the Intel HD 3000 graphics driver. If I go into safe mode and disable this, it will boot up fine,

but only shows a default resolution of 1024 x 768 which looks pretty bad.

It will also boot in VMWare with its default driver, and looks pretty good.

I went to the Intel web site and downloaded the very latest driver and it still has the problem. I also downloaded the latest Bootcamp

drivers from Apple and installed those and I'm still having this problem.

Anyone got any ideas? Can I revert to an older version of the Intel driver ? Is it conflicting with something else ??

Windows Update says everything is up-to-date. Apple Software Update also says everything is up-to-date.

Its a late 2011 Macbook Air 11", purchased a few months ago which is i7 and maxed out. OSX side is working fine.

Thanks,

Sean

MacBook Air, Windows 7, Ultimate Edition. Macbook Air 11"

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:23 AM

4 replies

Jul 31, 2012 2:29 AM in response to shaunfromalbany

Any update to this? I've the exact same problem. I've also oddly found that if I boot in Mac OS, then into VM Ware and uninstall VMWare tools, then reinstall it - Windows will boot normally once. However, next time it'll be back to black screen.

Very annoying.

UPDATE: Ignore that bit about uninstalling the VMWare tools, it worked once but hasn't since. This all started happening after a windows update yesterday which presumably updated my HD3000 drivers.

Jul 31, 2012 3:51 AM in response to The hatter

Not sure I understand, presumably I have the intel driver installed as bootcamp was working fine for months?

I managed to (possibly temporarily) bypass the problem. I booted the mac with everything plugged out (ethernet, external monitor, power cable, USB hub etc. everything!) and it booted ok. I'm not tempting fate by trying a reboot now as I've work to do.

Jul 31, 2012 4:06 AM in response to scaryjones

Apple's drivers for video are rarely current or as good as when downloaded from Intel etc while Windows can sometimes install its own which are also 2nd best.

Windows updates sometimes cause problems requiring a safe boot, uninstall driver, including graphic, and update or reinstall your own.

Make sure you have a Windows System Advanced Protection enable checkpoints and allocate 4GB and insure that you have at least one current restore check point.

CCleaner 3.2+ is good to use daily or weekly and use its Registry cleaner as needed from installing, uninstalling or updates.

And clear the TEMP folder - go to %TEMP% and remove everything in that folder.

Black Screen After Latest Intel HD3000 Graphics Driver Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.