Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring items to iTunes library before updating iPhone.

Hi

Preparing to backup my iPhone to my computer, I saw there was an uupdate available (5.1.1). When I cllicked to update a message window popped up saying,

"There are purchased items on the iPhone “Mac User’s iPhone” that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPhone."

But how do I ascertain what hasn't been traferred and where, and how would I do that transfer?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 2:42 PM

At the iTunes menu bar go to File and select Transfer Purchases From - the name of your iPhone.

The iTunes content on your iPhone that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store direct with your iPhone that is not in your iTunes library on your computer will be copied to your iTunes library on your computer.

With Sync Music selected under the Music tab and Sync Apps selected under the Apps tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes, after downloading music and apps direct from the iTunes store with your iPhone, the music and apps would be copied to your iTunes library on your computer automatically the first time you sync your iPhone with iTunes after doing so.

iTunes on your computer includes an option to automatically download music, books, and apps that was purchased/downloaded direct with your iPhone without having to sync your iPhone with iTunes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2012 2:42 PM in response to elmerlang

At the iTunes menu bar go to File and select Transfer Purchases From - the name of your iPhone.

The iTunes content on your iPhone that was purchased/downloaded from the iTunes store direct with your iPhone that is not in your iTunes library on your computer will be copied to your iTunes library on your computer.

With Sync Music selected under the Music tab and Sync Apps selected under the Apps tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes, after downloading music and apps direct from the iTunes store with your iPhone, the music and apps would be copied to your iTunes library on your computer automatically the first time you sync your iPhone with iTunes after doing so.

iTunes on your computer includes an option to automatically download music, books, and apps that was purchased/downloaded direct with your iPhone without having to sync your iPhone with iTunes.

Transferring items to iTunes library before updating iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.