Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I swap out Pegasus RAID HDs?

I'm looking at buying a thunderbolt RAID system and my eye is trained on the Pegasus 4TB RAID system. My plan is two buy it and take out 3 of 4 of the HDs and replace them with my 3 Hitachi 7200rpm 2TB HDs which would give me more capacity. Can I do this? I'm new to RAID and just want to be certain I can swap out the HDs before buying it.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 11:11 AM

5 replies

Jan 17, 2013 7:46 AM in response to elagnitrop

Will be a miracle if it works with ther certified drives, I cannot imagine what you can see with other drives....

good luck!

No support if you change their original drives but you can put back them in case of a unit failure.

R4 shoud support any up to 4tb hdd.

My R4 arrived DOA just to tell you how is serious this company....they assemble and ship, the final test will be at your home with your waste of time for tests and waiting new units 😟.

I will never buy again from Promise specially at this top prices where you can expect at least a basic quality.

Feb 23, 2013 10:59 PM in response to elagnitrop

At the Promise website, there is a Pegasus hard-drive compatibility list that shows drives they've tested and certified as compatible with the system. The drives theyve certified include a newer Seagate 3TB drive that is fairly reasonably priced. My short experience (3 weeks) with the re-furbished Pegasus I bought at Newegg has been very positive! FAST and so far, reliable.

Feb 4, 2014 9:42 AM in response to elagnitrop

You'd need to replace all the drives in the RAID with larger ones before you can create a larger array. Make sure you've checked for all the updates inside Promise Utility so that you can use our latest compatibility list in the Download Center at www.promise.com. If you have any more questions, we'd like to discuss them with you over the telephone. Please call us at 408-228-1500.

Joe Engledow

Technical Support

Promise Technology

Can I swap out Pegasus RAID HDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.