Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble with hard drive and time machine

Hi, I have just noticed that my external hard drive has stopped working-the light doesnt come on! I have been using time machine to back up stuff, is it now a simple case of buying a new hard drive and plugging it in or have I lost all my stuff on the old

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), time machine

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 12:13 PM

3 replies

Jun 24, 2012 12:52 PM in response to Welly16

As long as all of your data is still on your iMac's Internal HDD, then you have lost nothing. If however, you have been deleting things off your iMac and relying on Time Machine to keep an archive, then you are SOL.

Optionally if you do not need hourly backups, then perhaps a bootable archive backup with Carbon Copy Cloner might be a better solution for you than Time Machine.

Lastly if you are serious about backing up, stay away from bargain basement External Hard Drives.

Jun 24, 2012 1:53 PM in response to Welly16

Welly16 wrote:

I have not been deleting things so thats fine.

That's good.

Can you recommend any decent hard drives? Im in the uk and have an apple store nearby, any from there that would be good???

1. OWC MEFW924AL1K Mercury Elite Pro Quad Interface... in stock at OWC

2. LaCie - Desktop External Hard Drives - USB 2.0, FireWire, FireWire 800 & eSATA

3. Newer Technology, Inc.® External Hard Drives

4. Anything from your Apple Store except WD MyBooks.

Thanks again for the help.

No problem, your welcome!

trouble with hard drive and time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.