361 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 24, 2012 1:12 PM by Neville Hillyer
- Backup Home folder and any other important items to another hard disk or a DVD
- Repair as fully as practical with Disk Utility or better still use AppleJack as per instructions below.
- Download and install the combo update from: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL866
General instructions for using AppleJack on a faulty Mac. It may be reasonable to omit item 1 if a backup has recently been done or the Mac has no serious symptoms.
- Backup Home folder and perhaps whole disk to an external disk or DVD with eg Carbon Copy Cloner
- Install the free AppleJack
- Reboot holding cmd s until you see text
- Wait until text stops
- Type: applejack AUTO shutdown
- Hit return key
- Don't touch but prepare for a long wait - may take hours the first time
- You can probably ignore the many error messages
- Reboot after it has shutdown
First boot will take longer than usual as it rebuilds caches