Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgraded standard macbook pro vs base macbook pro with retina?

So I'm getting a new Macbook pro for college and the two I'm looking at are about the same price with different benefits. I'm looking for a versatile computer for everything I will do in college. I dont run any super intense photo programs or video editors, I just game and am a standard user. Also I plan on running bootcamp and playing some games on the computer. It's between:

-a Macbook Pro with retina display

base specs of 8gb RAM and 2.3ghz processor and I would also buy an external optical drive

The only Cons are that im not sure if 256gb SSD is enough for boot camp and everything i would be doing

-Macbook Pro Standard 15in

2.6ghz processor and 8gb RAM

750gb HDD 7200rpm

The price comes out to about the same so im really torn between a retina/portability vs 2.6ghz processor and optical/ethernet

so basically 2.6ghz vs. 2.3ghz and 750gb HDD vs 256 SSD

any help?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 2:24 PM

go with the non-retina version.

reason: you're stuck with Retina's RAM and Flash/SSD Drive and can not upgrade it.

with the non-Retina version, you'll have a faster processor, larger Hard Drive and future upgrade options in terms of RAM and Storage.

3 replies

Jun 24, 2012 10:15 PM in response to jpl337

If you are going to load a lot of Windows games, your would probably need the larger HD. If you are using it primarily for school work, internet then 256 SSD is probably enough. I have a Windows partition on the retina version with 256 SSD, and have 140 GB remaining free. But I do not game and use Windows only for Quicken. If you are a student and are going to be carrying around your computer a lot, you might appreciate the lighter weight of the MBP with retina display. However, other poster are correct, there is no upgrade path with either MBP.

upgraded standard macbook pro vs base macbook pro with retina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.