Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad as Recipe Book.

Hi

This maybe a simple enough question, however it is a major change for me.

Currently I am running a decentralised computer with a Windows 7 Laptop the processor and operating system. Everything else is seperate units attached to the network.

My Mrs has suggested to me, that rather than dash backwards and forwards from the Kitchen to the computer I should look at a Tablet computer. Frankly this never occured to me.

Many of the chaps I know are now either using Apple or in the process of swapping to Apple for their computing solutions. All of them keep telling me how simple it is to do anything on their IPads. This has got me sufficently curious to consider one to satisfy the Mrs suggestion.

However this brings up a few questions before I proceed down this path.

First off - I use Safari to find recipes. Lets say I decide I want to make whatever it is I have found now. How do I get this information from the main computer to the Tablet without retyping the address? Can I save it to favourites and have the tablet and computer synchronise or something?

I have several cooking shows recorded and stored on my NAS. Once the IPad connects to the network can it stream these direct to the Kitchen so I can watch, pause, do and watch again? This would be pretty useful I reckon.

On my network I am using Homerun TV tuners. These are network attached TV Tuners. Can the IPad use these to stream real time TV? This is not so much a requirement as a nice to have. Do I need any additional software for this?

Thinking past the Kitchen. Can IPad synchronise Outlook contacts and vickies verka as well so it can replace our rather outdated phone book? Do I need any additional software for this?

iPad 2

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 2:42 PM

6 replies

Jun 24, 2012 3:09 PM in response to dynamictiger

dynamictiger wrote:

First off - I use Safari to find recipes. Lets say I decide I want to make whatever it is I have found now. How do I get this information from the main computer to the Tablet without retyping the address? Can I save it to favourites and have the tablet and computer synchronise or something?

As tonefox suggested, just find them in Safari on the iPad and bookmark them on there. You can also sync bookmarks with iCloud and with your PC as well with and iPad.

I have several cooking shows recorded and stored on my NAS. Once the IPad connects to the network can it stream these direct to the Kitchen so I can watch, pause, do and watch again? This would be pretty useful I reckon.

If you bring the shows into your iTunes library on the PC you can use home sharing and view the shows from the computer on the iPad.

Thinking past the Kitchen. Can IPad synchronise Outlook contacts and vickies verka as well so it can replace our rather outdated phone book? Do I need any additional software for this?

You can sync Outlook contacts without needing additional software using iTunes and by using iCloud.

These are network attached TV Tuners. Can the IPad use these to stream real time TV? This is not so much a requirement as a nice to have. Do I need any additional software for this?

The iPad can stream live TV by using apps for the TV channels that are available in the app store.

My Mrs has suggested to me, that rather than dash backwards and forwards from the Kitchen to the computer I should look at a Tablet computer. Frankly this never occured to me.

In my household, if the Mrs. "suggests" anything, I tend to do what is suggested. It keeps the peace and makes my life easier. 😉

Jun 24, 2012 4:21 PM in response to dynamictiger

Start here with Apple's basic introduction talking about iCloud.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

There really is a great deal of information about iCloud on the web, so you can use Google or any search engine of your choice and turn up article after article about it.

Give some of the articles a look-see and if you have specific questions, post back or you can even take a look on the iCloud discussion site where the users talk in more detail about iCloud. There is a gentleman that contributes a lot of useful information on that site. You will know him by the screen name of Winston Churchill. He is quite knowledgable on all things iCloud.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/icloud/icloud_on_my_ios_device

Jun 24, 2012 7:42 PM in response to dynamictiger

Mr. Tiger is overthinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I keep recipes on my devices for easy access when I cook. Here's how I do it.

First, get yourself a free Dropbox account and link it to your main computer and your iOS devices. It is a cloud service similar to iCloud. Next, when I find a recipe I want to keep, from a website for example, on my iMac I will save the recipe as a PDF document using the "print" function on most websites. I will add that PDF to a folder in my Dropbox folder called "Recipes". From there, the PDF will be available on any device linked with my Dropbox account.

Ipad as Recipe Book.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.