Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express (simultaneous dual band) incompatible with Nest thermostat.

After purchasing the new dual band airport express, I have learned that it is currently incompatible with the Nest thermostat. After months of using the thermostat with an older airport express, I switched to the airport express to run a simultaneous dual band network. Within a couple of days I realized that my thermostat was no longer accesible from the internet. After checking the thermostat it was reporting that its battery was low and could not make a network connection. So to solve that problem I upgraded the wiring for the thermostat to include a "common wire" to supply power to the thermostat. After the battery reached an acceptable level I was able to at least rejoin the wireless network. Then I realized that the thermostat was not only randomly disconnecting from the network, but was also randomly rebooting itself. Nest has a list of routers that are currently known to be incompatible with the thermostat, but this router is not listed yet. Hopefully this helps anyone else who is trying to figure out what is going on after switching routers. Seeing as they had been selling this thermostat in Apple stores, along with the new airport express I hope they can iron out the incompatibilities between the two quickly.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 4:48 PM

24 replies

Jul 11, 2012 2:33 PM in response to downinitjr

I have two WiFi networks in my home, both 2.4 GHz. The main wireless router is a Verizon FiOS unit (unkown manufacturer) and the other is a Apple Time Capsule version 7.6.1 configured with the Airport Utility.

The Nest thermostat, installed two days ago, would not consistently stay connected to the Verizon WiFi network, but has been operating for over 24 hours without any issues on the Time Capsule WiFi network even though the Nest is much further away from the Apple router.

So far no compatibililty issues with the Apple Time Capsule wireless router.

Jul 16, 2012 11:06 PM in response to downinitjr

Same issue - had 1st gen Airport Extreme Base Station and a Nest working without a hiccup for 6+months. Switched to Airport Express Base Station for Airplay and dual band. Within 1.5 days, the NEST would disconnect from the network repeatedly with "low battery" - after intermittent use over 4 days - switched back to 1st gen Airport Extreme - NEST is working great but no dual band or guest network :-(

Hoping for a software patch or upgrade for compatibility - no sign of such on either Apple or NEST site

Aug 2, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Nicholas Sayer

This is how I solved this problem, I revered back to 7.6.0 on my Airport Extreme current generation AP and Nest has been happy ever since, of couse the AE isn't happy that it's a revision behind, however, everything is back to normal and working fine. When I performed a packet capture between the 7.6.0 and 7.6.1 I could see much more traffic to the Nest from the AE so I'm guessing the Nest isn't acustomed to being up and active on WiFi all the time so the constant power drain from the AE queries run the battery down.

It's not an elegant solution, but hey it works.

Aug 21, 2012 7:15 PM in response to Nicholas Sayer

That's great, but it doesn't help those of us with the Airport *Express* 3rd gen.

Once again.....there is no such thing as a 3rd Generation Express......yet.

The "newest" Express, introduced in mid-June with dual band wireless is the 2nd Generation AirPort Express. The 1st Generation AirPort Express was the 802.11n model introduced in 2008. The older "b/g" Express devices did not have a "generation" designation.

Call Apple if you need to verify this, or check this recent support document regarding the newest 2nd Generation version of the Express.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5211

Airport Express (simultaneous dual band) incompatible with Nest thermostat.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.