Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a Macbook Pro Retina to an iMac (mid 2011) ?

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Pro Retina. I already have a 27" iMac (mid 2011). Will I be able to connect the Macbook Pro to the iMac to make use of the larger screen when working at home?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:56 PM

15 replies

Jun 24, 2012 10:31 PM in response to clashcityrocker1

Yes you should be able to, but only via a thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924 describes how target display mode works on the first iMacs and gives you the general idea of how to enable it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775 describes how your machine will only work with a thunderbolt - thunderbolt connection and will not support a mini displayport connection to achieve this.

Oct 9, 2012 7:20 AM in response to vrayco

Sadly, Apple support and genius bar continues to mistakenly recommend thunderbolt for this configuration. What you really need is a mini-dvi male to mini-dvi male cable. Way cheaper than a thunderbolt cable, and actually works--I'm typing this on the screen of my 2009 iMac connected to my 15" MBPr using a monoprice.com cable that cost less than $8 delivered.

Jul 12, 2013 1:37 PM in response to geoffreyfrommatthews

Geoffrey--

Thanks for this. I am still a bit confused. I have an iMac (late 2009) with a mini-display port (no thunderbolt) input, and a 2013 MBPr, and I'd like to use the iMac as my target display. You recommend a male-male mini-DVI cable, but I can't find one on monoprice or anywhere else. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

many thanks,

Rob M.

Jul 15, 2013 6:19 AM in response to macntec

macntec wrote:

Because the iMac is its own computer and the MacBook Pro is its own computer. It would be like connecting a double 9 volt battery to a double A batery. You can get a thunder bolt display but you would then be looking at another 1,000 dollars.

Email me directly (removed) if you have any other questions.

That is entirely incorrect.

And posting your email in a public forum is a real bad idea (unless you are collecting spam). I'll ask for it to be removed.

Can I connect a Macbook Pro Retina to an iMac (mid 2011) ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.