Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm astonished I cannot eliminate out-of-date emails on my iPhone

This is a bug. Control of your email address list has been one of the most basic, non-negotiable features since the invention of email. Generally, I've been an Apple fan since the 1980s, but ths is a bug, and it diminishes the quality of the iPhone significantly.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 1:55 AM

4 replies

Jun 25, 2012 1:58 PM in response to jeffanon

Let's try again. On my iPhone I try to address an email or to email a page, post, article, etc. to another service, which puts me into email addressing mode. I type in the name of a contact and up pops her old, out of date email address. I have already deleted that email address from my contacts, and from the previous recipients list in Mail on my Mac, and from my Gmail contacts list. It still exists only in one place -- in the hidden previous contacts list stored somewhere on my iPhone. In all those other places I can correct things by eliminating that old address, but not on the iPhone. That's frustrating. From what I've read on support pages, there is only one way to fix this - reset my iPhone and begin from scratch, treating it as a new device. (Can't restore, must begin cold.) I'm clearly not going to do that, so I'm stuck, it seems, needing to be extra careful that the iPhone doesn't autocomplete using the wrong address.

I'm astonished I cannot eliminate out-of-date emails on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.