Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime for Windows XP.

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition (SP3).

I have downloaded Quicktime for Windows. The download was successful; but the installation hung (>2 hrs on the status page). I aborted the installation. I have tried to re-install Quicktime, but am unable to do so "An installation is currently underway". I am unable to cancel the original installation and cannot re-install a fresh version. Suggestions please?

Quicktime Software download-OTHER, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 5:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 25, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Kalam_A

Thank you for your response. I have tried following the troubleshooter steps: >deleted most of Temp folder >no Quick Time files found in Windows/System 32 folder > restarted computer> downloaded Quick Time again. Attempted to install Quick Time but installation appears to have hung on the Status page (i.e. unchanged for over 2 hours).

Apple Software Update has appeared listed in my Program files, but when selected I get a 'Parameter is incorrect' message. Additionally, no programme is listed for Apple/ Quick Time when viewing programs through the Control Panel.

What do you suggest?

Jun 25, 2012 10:52 PM in response to pensionista

🙂 many thanks.

Let's try reregistering the Windows Installer Service. For XP instructions, see Method 1: Reregister the Windows Installer from the following Microsoft document:

You receive an error message when you try to install a program that uses the Windows Installer in Windows XP

After the reregistration (and restart) are you able to get the QuickTime install to go through properly now?

Quicktime for Windows XP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.