Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Aperture user question

I have recently begun shooting in RAW and decided to get Aperture.

After importing images, when I first open it to begin processing Aperture does something on it's own. The image pops up looking pretty good but then it changes and looks different. For example I had some shots taken indoors with a flash. When i open it they look pretty warm but then they change to a cooler temp after a second or two.

Can someone explain what is happening?

13" MacBook Pro, 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 8:03 AM

2 replies

Jun 25, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Michael Napier

Best explained in the User Manual:

How Aperture Displays Images in the Viewer

When a version needs to be displayed in the Viewer, Aperture does the following:

• - Aperture draws the thumbnail image (a JPEG image that is 1280 pixels in the longest dimension).
  • - Aperture draws the JPEG preview, if present.
  • - Aperture decodes the master and applies any adjustments to it.

Once the last step is completed, the adjustment controls become available. Because the JPEG preview is created with all the adjustments for that version, it appears onscreen faster than the adjusted master would. The result is a sharp preview image that appears quickly in the Viewer.

Note, too, that depending on the setting you select at "Aperture➞Preferences➞Previews", Aperture may use the in-camera-created JPG until it creates its own Preview.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- formatting: bullets that show in the reply preview don't show in the reply.

New Aperture user question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.