You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Hotspot stops when phone locks?

Seems like the WiFi hotspot stops working once the phone screen lock mode kicks in. Is this true? If so, maybe we need a setting that allows the PHS to keep working when the phone is locked?

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 2:02 PM

Yes, it stops broadcasting its SSID when you exit the personal hotspot settings screen or lock the device. Wireless clients that are already connected should stay connected, even without the broadcast. I've had my MacBook Pro, Linux machines, and my iPad stay connected to my iPhone hotspot all night while it was sitting locked and unused.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 25, 2012 2:02 PM in response to ArcProjector

Yes, it stops broadcasting its SSID when you exit the personal hotspot settings screen or lock the device. Wireless clients that are already connected should stay connected, even without the broadcast. I've had my MacBook Pro, Linux machines, and my iPad stay connected to my iPhone hotspot all night while it was sitting locked and unused.

Sep 15, 2012 5:41 PM in response to ArcProjector

Connecting my iPad 2 to the hotspot broadcast from my iPhone 4 (both running iOS5) the hotspot temporarily disconnects (& the blue header reminder on the iPhone screen goes out) when the iPad goes to sleep but then reconnects automatically when the iPad wakes up. This makes sense in case the iPad is running sites (such as video) that might continue to run in the background.

Personal Hotspot stops when phone locks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.