Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with update / permissions

Hi

I have a problem with my 15" mid 2010 macbook Pro with 8GB RAM, running Lion with 10.7.4.

Problem:

I cannot update the SW running the Apple update - I finds the new updates for iMovie, iPhoto, Java etc, but when asking it to install them, it prompts me that I cannot install due to not having the correct permissions.

The problem occured approx 3-4 weeks ago. Before that I had never experienced this before...

I have repaired the permissions, but that didn't help - does anyone have a solution to this?

FYI I'm still a novice on the Mac - so I'm learning everyday.... 😊

Br

Per

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:00 AM

6 replies

Jun 25, 2012 12:26 PM in response to perbo74

Besides repairing permissions with disk utility, you need to reset your user permissions. Follow instructions here:

Repairing User Permissions in OS X Lion

You’ll need to reboot to perform this, and then use the same resetpassword utility that is used to change passwords in Lion, but instead choosing a hidden option.

When you use the Disk Utility app and Repair Permissions — it doesn’t actually repair the permission settings on folders and files in your Home folder where your documents and personal applications reside.

In Lion, there is an additional Repair Permissions application utility hidden away. This toolis located inside boot Repair Utilities. Here’s how to access it.

1. Restart Lion and hold down the Command and R keys.
  2. You will boot into the Repair Utilities screen. On top, in the Menu Bar click the Utilities item then select Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit Return.
  4. The Password reset utility launches, but you’re not going to reset the password. Instead, click on the icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. From the drop-down below it, select the user account where you are having issues.
  5. At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an area labeled ‘Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs’. Click the Reset button there.

The reset process takes a couple of minutes. When it’s done, quit the programs you’ve opened and restart your Mac. Notice that ‘Spotlight’ starts re-indexing immediately.

Problems with update / permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.