Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

L-shaped MagSafe just pure inconvenient

I always have to be looking out for the cable now, to make sure it's not trapped under my laptop when I set it down.

Up until now I thought I was doing it all with a good cause — that the L-shaped connector is superior over the T-shaped.

But it turns out that Apple are going back to the T-shaped one for their new Retina MacBook Pro. What am I to do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.4GHz Core i7, SSD, Hi-Res Glossy

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:19 AM

And you're stuck with it, cause the Retinas use the MagSafe 2 connector, whereas the others is the Original MagSafe.

Odd, since the T connectors disappeared in late 2008. Must be something due to the aesthetics or the ultrathin formfactor. Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology.

6 replies

Jul 15, 2012 11:12 AM in response to Rudolfensis

The reason for the change in the Magsafe connector was because the previous "L" design had a peculiar liability - if you had the connector positioned so the cable ran toward the back of the computer, and instinctively pulled the cord straight back to detach it, the connector could not come free because it would "catch" on it's own shoulder - resulting in many of cases of cord damage.

Try it :-)

Sep 10, 2013 1:41 PM in response to Rangefire

The T-shaped connector is terrible - it sticks out and is generally in the way. They could have very easily have fixed the cable issue by putting a small chamfer on the connector so that if pulled at a 90* angle, it would simply pivot and disconnect without ripping the cable. Simple. Wonder why they don't hire an industrial designer like me that can fix silly issues like this for them without having to go to an inferior design.

Sep 10, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Donkulouos

The NEW magsafe neodymium (Neo Iron boron magnets) magnets are also weaker by design.

As a magnet collector and inventor Im nearly 100% certain Apple dropped the N gauss rating from N42 down to N35

(magnet strength rating)

As such additional to the new design, its easier to "rip it off the mac" in case of accidental pull

The OLDER neodymiums were SO strong you could pull the entire mac backwards OFF a table etc without disconnecting the magnets.

L-shaped MagSafe just pure inconvenient

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.