Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managed preferences: computer prefs work; user prefs don't work on Lion clients.

OK, so I'm running into a similar problem as before, but in reverse. On Snow Leopard clients, all of my MCX preferences work perfectly (computer and user). On Lion clients however, only computer/group preferences show up. User/group preferences are nowhere to be seen.

• Server: OSX 10.6.8, OD (no AD)
  • Snow Leopard and Lion clients.
  • All clients bonded with server.
  • Most other services work.

Stuff I've tried:

• Clearing/flushing MCX caches, unbonding/rebonding clients, restarting clients.
  • Deleting/recreating users and groups.
  • Restarting server.
  • Turning off all computer/group MCX preferences (so that only user preferences remained). No difference--accounts became unmanaged.

Goals:

• Set Group sharepoint to automount for all users.
  • Set a Yearbook sharebpoint to automount for members of Yearbook group.
  • Set various preferences to Always Managed for students.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 1:41 PM

Lots of discoveries.

• The problem isn't MCX preferences.
  • It was a combination of two things.
    • The preferences hierarchy was cancelling out some of the things I wanted to do.
    • The Lion clients weren't reacting nicely to my custom Group folder. I was following Wazza's Server Notes on creating a universal Group folder to share between user groups. The Snow Leopard clients were fine with this; the Lions weren.
  • Solution: It's a little bit of a hack, but I added my Groups folder to the Login as a simple AFP URL instead of ticking the "Add Group Share Point" box, and I did it from the computer groups instead of the user groups.
  • Bonus: Other MCX user settings are working now, and I'm a happy camper.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2012 1:41 PM in response to nscreated

Lots of discoveries.

• The problem isn't MCX preferences.
  • It was a combination of two things.
    • The preferences hierarchy was cancelling out some of the things I wanted to do.
    • The Lion clients weren't reacting nicely to my custom Group folder. I was following Wazza's Server Notes on creating a universal Group folder to share between user groups. The Snow Leopard clients were fine with this; the Lions weren.
  • Solution: It's a little bit of a hack, but I added my Groups folder to the Login as a simple AFP URL instead of ticking the "Add Group Share Point" box, and I did it from the computer groups instead of the user groups.
  • Bonus: Other MCX user settings are working now, and I'm a happy camper.

Managed preferences: computer prefs work; user prefs don't work on Lion clients.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.