Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing 2 DAW's on 2 different MBP's :Ableton Live and Logic Pro

I'm playing second keyboards on a live (to click)recording this weekend.

The MD is running Ableton Live on his MBP and I'm accessing all MY sounds from Logic 9. I think he's got all 12 songs as different AL songs obviously all at different tempos

I'm wanting to slave mine to his so that I can record my midi performances. I've just installed ipMidi because neither of us have AI's with midi IO

Any good people out there know the best way to do this (given the no physical MIDI IO as a proviso)??

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), MBP LATE 2011 8 GIG RAM SSD 256GIG

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 4:42 PM

5 replies

Jun 25, 2012 9:20 PM in response to welshwiggle

Can't tell you much about ipMIDI but there may be other problems than just getting ipMIDI setup and running.

Logic does not Sync to MIDI clock, (which is tempo/beat/measure based)

There is MTC but the problem with that is MIDI Time Code is time based, as in hours/minutes/seconds, plus it uses considerable MIDI bandwidth.

You would have to go back to Logic version 7.2.x to be able to sync to incoming MIDI clock.

Jun 26, 2012 3:15 AM in response to Pancenter

Ouch Pancenter,

Not often you post a no-can-do,

There are side issues here anyhow where the MD has 12 different songs in AL and then Ive got Omnisphere running different patches at different tempos for each song, so...

If I set up a master L9 slave project I'm really not sure how its gonna perform with the other guy stopping and starting his AL rig....

Jun 26, 2012 4:09 AM in response to welshwiggle

You can try sending MTC from the MD's system to yours over ipMIDI but it won't sync tempo, it will only read out seconds./minutes/hours. Logic will not lock to a tempo because there isn't any, only linear time.

However, if it worked without glitches your MIDI recording would be in time with the MD's Ableton performance.

There's the setting of time codes for each song and all that but it could be worked out.

I think I'd just set Logic to record and match them up be ear, there's got to be some focal point in each song that you can line up to. Good luck trying to do that it is not an easy task.

I play guitar/banjo/mandolin..etc in the pit band for most of the touring Broadway shows that come through town and was pleasantly surprised to see one of them using three separate "Mainstage" setups for the three Kurzweil pit keyboards. Worked flawlessly, was all setup by a New York programmer. I think I've mentioned that before.

Jun 26, 2012 1:59 PM in response to Pancenter

So how did those 3 MS's get their sync PC?

OK here's what I'm gonna do.

Set up markers in L9 for each of the songs in the set list with each marker set at the corresponding songs tempo.Although the songs are set arrangements the back ends are open for spontaneity to break out so I'm gonna allow say 15 mins for each song to be safe. Reason for tempo change is to allow my Omnisphere patches to follow 'host' tempo properly.

Once Song 1 is done I'll simply hotkey to marker 2,3,4....etc

I'm also gonna record some stage drum audio with an SM58 via my AI (Apogee Ensemble) as a ref.

Syncing 2 DAW's on 2 different MBP's :Ableton Live and Logic Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.