Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth on iPhone 4s won't pair with ipad2

I have a iPhone 4s and just bought a ipad2. They won't pair and I can get android phones to pair with the ipad2 with no problems. I have done a lot of research and doesn't seem to be a fix for it yet. I don't want to jailbreak either items. Will apple ever get this Bluetooth or IOS problem fixed?oh but the IPhone pairs with my Sony Xploid stereo in my car.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 7:56 PM

The iphone isn't designed to pair with an iPad; just accessories like headseats, wireless keyboards, headphones and car kits.

12 replies

Jun 25, 2012 8:47 PM in response to randers4

Well that is kind of silly.Why would they not set it up to do that? I JUST got the iPhone 4s 5 months ago.i could have got a droid and had the Bluetooth function run my IPad for Internet. I am tired of paying for data and then I would be forced to either jailbreak or pay for the hotspot inside the phone. Are they in cahoots with the carriers?its $20 per 2 gb on top of my crazy priced data plan. But the droids allow the Bluetooth pairing for free.Sad. Makes me want to get rid of my IPhone. Thanks for your reply!

Jun 25, 2012 8:52 PM in response to Cotilyn

You're welcome. But Apple gets no revenue from the carrier and has no incentive to design their products to use more of their services. This is strictly a carrier decision to not provide free hotspots. I have my suspicious about why Apple doesn't design their phone to pair with other iOS devices, but speculation is against the Terms of Use for these forums. 😉

Jun 26, 2012 5:29 AM in response to Cotilyn

if you are trying to use your iphone's cellular connection on your ipad through tethering you can setup a personal hotspot with you iphone and connect you ipad to that, but again like others have said before me you must have a tethering option enabled by your carrier for the option to even show up in the settings.

Aug 12, 2012 10:22 AM in response to Cotilyn

Not to be late to the party, but I'm having the same issue for different reasons making Randers initial reply even more hard to understand (and somewhat infuriates me with Apple).

Apple advertises that Keynote Remote can control one's presentation on the iPad with your iPhone by either Wifi OR Bluetooth.

How can they advertise that if they aren't designed to pair to begin with?

Aug 12, 2012 10:31 AM in response to SzwakyD

Apple advertises that Keynote Remote can control one's presentation on the iPad with your iPhone by either Wifi OR Bluetooth.

Instructions for doing exactly that are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3325

It is true that you cannot pair iOS devices via Bluetooth for just any old Bluetooth connection. However, for specific uses (such as tethering, or the Remote app) it is possible.

Bluetooth on iPhone 4s won't pair with ipad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.