Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make Aperture use new drive

Hi

I recently bought a new 3TB HDD to replace my 1TB drive which was nearly full. How do I copy my existing files across and make Aperture continue to read them from its database?

Regards

Mark

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 3:07 AM

5 replies

Jun 27, 2012 4:41 AM in response to Matthew McAlister

Thanks, Matthew, but I don't think I gave enough details. I have my aperture library file on the main drive under ~/Pictures. The raw files from my camera are on the external 1TB drive called Elements, as referenced files. On the external drive is a system of folders like this /Volumes/Elements/Photos/Aperture/2012/06, and within that the raw files downloaded from my camera for that day.

So the issue is how to harmonize the library on the iMac with the referenced files on the external drive.

Jun 27, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Logistes

Then you need to to relocate your referenced masters/originals using Aperture, don't use the Finder for it:

Select the images in the browser and from the main menu bar select: File > Relocate Original (or Master, depending on your Aperture Version)

In the relocate dialog you can set a subfolder format, to preserve your folder structure as far as possible.

Regards

Léonie

How to make Aperture use new drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.