Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only first few minutes of audiobooks play

Audiobooks no longer play on any device that I have: ipods, MacBook, iphone...

The first 5 minutes or so play and then the track completely stops. The behaviour is slightly different on different devices.

On the MacBook, an audiobook plays for around 5 minutes and then skips on to the next book.

On the iPods, an audiobook plays for around 5 minutes and then just stops.

On the iPhone the volume stops after around 5 mins though the track keeps playing forwards.

This must be a problem with the iTunes 10.6.3 software? I guess that this problem has happened since I recently upgraded all.

Are others finding this serious problem as well? Can anything be done?

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 2:57 AM

10 replies

Jun 26, 2012 4:17 AM in response to DB1@mac

There seems to be an increase in the number of partial downloads of late. For a music file I would suggest you delete the current entry and then download again from your purchase history, however this is not currently permitted for audiobooks. Use the report a problem links in your account history and request that they requeue the corrupt content for you.

tt2

Jun 27, 2012 4:48 AM in response to DB1@mac

Problem is solved now.

The fix is to delete all files from iTunes on the MacBook and then re-import the files from the iTunes Media folder.

That has restored proper playback.

Re-syncing the other devices with the MacBook then fixes the problem on them.

I don't know how this bizarre issue was caused, but guess that it was when I updated iTunes through Software Update.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this. If you have, I hope that this fix works for you.

Jul 29, 2012 8:35 AM in response to DB1@mac

I too had this problem, though I had initially assumed that this was some sort of DRM protection gone awry. I first experianced this exact issue after replacing my MacBook's harddrive and upgrading the OS from Leopard to Lion. I thought that maybe, for whatever reason the authorization of my upgraded computer to play my iTunes purchases hadn't worked, and that was what was causing it. It made some sense to me that iTunes would only let you play the first five minutes of an audiobook if it didn't think you had bought it legally (that way, you'd maybe get interested in the book enough to legally buy it).

However, after reading this post, I think it was more likely that you're right, and that this was just a bug that happens when you upgrade to the newest version of iTunes (which I did when I upgraded to Lion). Your solution fixed the issue for me, so thanks a bunch!

Oct 24, 2012 3:00 AM in response to kgraz16

The file isn't corrupted, or at least the music file itself. It is something to do with the iTunes Player and whatever it has done to the info about the tunes/books.

I need to do the procedure on more music myself, as I have found more tracks that stop playing. I thought that I had fixed them all, so I hope that thisn't a problem that iTunes keeps re-introducing. I hope it is just something that happned in the update process - although maybe there has been another update since the first problematic one? Not sure but anyway...

to fix it

...I think that the safest way to do the procedure is to go to your Music folder, then to the iTunes folder then ITunes Media folder. Locate the files that you want to fix and drag them onto the desktop. Go to the iTunes player, select the tracks there and delete them in the Player. Then re-import the files back to the Player (drag them on to it) from the desktop. This will restore the files to the iTunes Media folder and the re-import to the Player should make them play properly.

Try it with one item first to check that it works. Make a duplicate of the media file too, when you first try it, just in case.

Only first few minutes of audiobooks play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.