Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing parts of Time Machine backup...

I have a new MacBook Pro and instead of restoring it from a previous Time Machine backup, I was hoping I could access part of the backup and copy some contents on to the new MacBook Pro. Can it be done?

For example, my Time Machine backup has 80gb of music in it, can I access that from my new MacBook Pro and copy the music?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 4:39 AM

3 replies

Jun 26, 2012 7:38 PM in response to msclaxton

Your best bet is not to try to restore things "piecemeal." It's much too easy to miss things, and depending on the situation, you can have permissions problems.

It's best, by far, to use Setup Assistant when your new Mac first starts up; if you didn't, you'll end up with an extra user account and/or the transferred account(s) may lose permission to the backups. Instead, use one of the workarounds in the green box of Problems after using Migration Assistant.

Note that you can omit some broad categories of things, but you can't "pick and choose" individual items. So use the assistant to bring in what you want, and if that includes some things you don't want, then just delete the unwanted stuff.

Accessing parts of Time Machine backup...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.