Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

older iMac in need of help

I have a 5 year old intel iMac using 10.7.4. I feel like it is on its last legs because I get many pinwheels with any click of mouse, and gray screens (when I reboot). I'd like to wait until Sept. for the new models. Any ideas for help in the meantime? Thanks in advance.

--Tom T.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), have iTouch also

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:27 AM

Is your iMac a early white 2007 model or mid to late silver 2007 model?

How much free space on the HD is left?

How much RAM are you running?

Have you tried repairing permissions using Apple's Disk Utility?

Try using something like OnyX to clear out a lot junk in your system?

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php?sid=46093cfa2cb9132156099a3eaffa02ae

If your iMac has only the minimum RAM it shipped with, you may need to increase your RAM to the Max. amount your model iMac can take.

The 2007 white iMac can take 4GBs of RAM, but is only cpapble of addressing 3 out of the 4GBs.

Later 2007 iMac models can take a Max. of 6GBs of RAM. Installing the Max. amount of RAM will help, somewhat, with your issues, also.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2012 11:27 AM in response to tglennt

Is your iMac a early white 2007 model or mid to late silver 2007 model?

How much free space on the HD is left?

How much RAM are you running?

Have you tried repairing permissions using Apple's Disk Utility?

Try using something like OnyX to clear out a lot junk in your system?

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php?sid=46093cfa2cb9132156099a3eaffa02ae

If your iMac has only the minimum RAM it shipped with, you may need to increase your RAM to the Max. amount your model iMac can take.

The 2007 white iMac can take 4GBs of RAM, but is only cpapble of addressing 3 out of the 4GBs.

Later 2007 iMac models can take a Max. of 6GBs of RAM. Installing the Max. amount of RAM will help, somewhat, with your issues, also.

Jun 30, 2012 1:08 PM in response to MichelPM

I have been away for a few days; sorry for the delay in responding back.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have done a few of them: increased RAM to 4G; repaired permissions; and used not Onyx but CleanMyMac to try to clear junk. I have the later 2007 iMac, but I didn't know it could take 6 G RAM.

I'm not sure I want to try going back to 10.6 at this point. Your suggestions have been helpful in that it tells me I was on the right track. Actually, I have noticed some improvement, hopefully enoough to get me to the new iterations of iMac this September.

Again, thanks.

older iMac in need of help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.