Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!

The folowing message keeps popping up whenever I connect my iPad to my iMac (An iPad has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPad, then try again.) I've reset my iPad, Computer, & everything else I research but no help. HOW DO I FIX THIS?

iPad, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:27 AM

2 replies

Jun 26, 2012 12:17 PM in response to darius.mcclure

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2818

iOS: Device detected but not identified properly on iTunes for Windows

Products Affected

Windows, Windows Vista, Windows XP, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, iTunes, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

Symptoms

When connecting an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Windows computer, iTunes may display the following message:

"An iPhone has been detected but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPhone."

Resolution

In most cases, you will be able to work around the issue by doing one of the following:

Update to the latest version of iTunes.

Troubleshoot the USB connection

You may see this alert message if iTunes detects an issue with the USB connection between your device and your computer. Troubleshoot the USB connection. If possible, try connecting your device with a different USB to Dock Connector cable.

Disable VPN Software

If you are using VPN software to connect to an internal network, try disabling your VPN software and reconnecting the device. Examples of VPN software include (but are not limited to) Cisco VPN Client, Hamachi, and Open VPN.

Boot to a selective startup (MSConfig)

In some cases, third-party services or startup items may cause this issue. You can disable these by booting your computer to a selective startup using MSConfig (Windows XP steps and Windows Vista and Windows 7 steps).

Disable Internet connection

Windows XP

1. Open the Control Panel in classic view. Then open Network Connections.
  2. If listed, right-click Wireless Internet connection and click Disable.
  3. Disconnect and reconnect the device and test.
If the issue persists, open the Network Connections control panel as shown above and disable the Local Area Network Connection. Disconnect and reconnect the device and test.

Windows Vista or Windows 7

1. Open the Control Panel and select Network and Internet. Then, open "Network and Sharing Center." (Note: If using Classic View in Windows Vista, click directly on "Network and Sharing Center" from the first Control Panel window.)
  2. Select Manage Network Connections. (Note: For Windows 7, click on the name of the network connection itself, such as "Wireless network connection.")
  3. If listed, right-click Wireless Internet Connection and click Disable. (Note: For Windows 7, click the Disable button in the properties window presented in step 2.)
  4. Disconnect and reconnect the device and test.

If the issue persists, open the Manage Network Connections control panel as listed above and disable the Local Area Network Connection. Disconnect and reconnect the device and test.

Reinstall Apple software

Follow the steps in article HT1925 (for Windows XP) or HT1923 (for Windows Vista or Windows 7) to remove iTunes from your computer. Then download and install the latest version of iTunes.

Use a different computer

If the above suggestions do not help you work around the issue, consider using a different computer (if available) to sync your personal information to your device.

HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.