Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort Order of All Unplayed Episodes

The sort order of all unplayed episodes is from Newest to Oldest, which is backwards for me.

Why would I listen to the Newest episode first? It completely breaks any chronology of the podcasts!

I found that you can change this for individual podcasts if you find the details by clicking on the podcast title to open its preferences, but the big list does not have the option.

Please, give me the option to ORDER THE UNPLAYED EPISODES OLDEST AT TOP TO NEWEST AT BOTTOM!

Thanks, in advance.

iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 12:00 PM

14 replies

Jun 27, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Harry Mueller

This did the trick for me, Harry. Thanks!

I was surprised to see you can/must set this on a podcast-by-podcast basis, but it is hard to argue with having finer control. Oldest to newest seems like a slightly more logical default, but that may just be personal preference.

Not to split off in a new direction, but if I then subscribe to a podcast in Podcasts app that I already subscribe to in iTunes, is it recommended I turn off syncing between iTunes and my iPhone for that podcast? Or will this question basically go away when iOS 6.0 is released?

Do the Podcasts app and the Music/iPod app share podcast files? Or will they be duplicated on my iPhone?

Tom

Jun 27, 2012 12:47 PM in response to Tom Peterson

Tom Peterson wrote:

This did the trick for me, Harry. Thanks!

I was surprised to see you can/must set this on a podcast-by-podcast basis, but it is hard to argue with having finer control. Oldest to newest seems like a slightly more logical default, but that may just be personal preference.

Not to split off in a new direction, but if I then subscribe to a podcast in Podcasts app that I already subscribe to in iTunes, is it recommended I turn off syncing between iTunes and my iPhone for that podcast? Or will this question basically go away when iOS 6.0 is released?

Do the Podcasts app and the Music/iPod app share podcast files? Or will they be duplicated on my iPhone?

Tom

The podcasts will duplicate themselves on your device. I turned off podcast syncing on my devices. But the weird thing is that when I sync, podcasts then copy themselves to my iTunes library. Either sync or don't, but don't copy to both.

Jun 5, 2016 8:52 PM in response to cronocide

I concur with this, the general Unplayed Episodes playlist in the Podcasts App should have more sorting options. I use to have my podcasts setup perfectly by runtime, via an iTunes playlist. However, the Podcasts App does not allow personalized playlists, is terrible at syncing, unsubscribes randomly from podcasts, and has a very rigid view of how things should be organized.

These technical issues are about more than just a malfunctioning application; it is limiting our freedom of choice.

To resolve this, an easy fix can be made: The Unplayed Episode list should have several sorting options, including (but not limited to);

- Runtime (Shortest First)

- Runtime (Longest First)

- Listening time Left (Shortest First)

- Most Recent

- Least Recent

- Alphabetically by Series title

- Most Popularly Listened To

This is really necessary, because Silicon Valley needs to give us more choices, not less.

Sort Order of All Unplayed Episodes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.