Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the original Apple TV still supported in the latest iTunes?

I'm running the latest software for the original Apple TV, OS X 10.7.4, iTunes 10.6.3

Apple TV isn't showing as a device in iTunes I do not have a tab for Apple TV in my iTunes Preferences either.

Sorry if I am missing something ridiculously obvious.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 2:47 PM

8 replies

Jun 27, 2012 5:07 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for your response Winston. I've done all of these steps several times, but still no luck. The Apple TV is also working fine on its own. Rented 2 movies on it just last night.

But the thing that is really puzzling me is that the Apple Support instructions mention going into iTunes Prefs and clicking on Apple TV - but there is no "Apple TV" to click on in my iTunes prefs (this is in addition to no "Devices" showing up in the left column of the iTunes interface. Weird.

Thanks again for your help.

Jun 27, 2012 7:44 AM in response to sddesign

sddesign wrote:

But the thing that is really puzzling me is that the Apple Support instructions mention going into iTunes Prefs and clicking on Apple TV - but there is no "Apple TV" to click on in my iTunes prefs (this is in addition to no "Devices" showing up in the left column of the iTunes interface. Weird.

From memory, this option is not there by default anymore but appears when you've successfully paired the ATV1 with iTunes.

Was the AppleTV originally paired to sync with a different computer or different OS installation on the same computer?

Jun 27, 2012 7:50 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Hi Alley_Cat,

I finally got the AppleTV communicating with my computer again by linking to it as a shared library. Thanks for the hint about changing computers - I did migrate everything to a new iMac from an older MacBookPro. Didn't think it would be a problem as I did a standard migration.

Thanks so much for your feedback - very much appreciated!

Jun 27, 2012 7:56 AM in response to sddesign

Provided you have all your data on the AppleTV backed up elsewhere you can set it up again to Sync with a new computer in Settings>Computers.

The top entry will be the sync pairing to the old computer, those below are shared libraries - you would need to highlight, select and remove both, then re-add the new computer at the top.

**** Setting AppleTV to sync with a new computer/iTunes library will delete all content from the unit *****

Jun 27, 2012 8:14 AM in response to sddesign

There are good and bad things about the new AppleTVs.

The bad:

No storage. Consequently not as good with slow connections as partial downloads readily lost.

No analogue connections.

No iTunes LP.

No iTunes Extras.

No audio out to Airport speakers.

Poorer organisation of shows/movies in the menus.

Poor icon driven interface.

The good:

Use less power.

Better processor. Potentially can play 1080p, and video above 720p @24fps.

(Movie), TV Show playback from the 'cloud' - location dependent.

Netflix

Airplay (I'm not keen on this).

Various other online features (Vimeo, some US sports channels, WSJ) - if they appeal.

AC

Is the original Apple TV still supported in the latest iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.