Skip navigation

Is the original Apple TV still supported in the latest iTunes?

394 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 8:14 AM by Alley_Cat RSS
sddesign Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 26, 2012 2:47 PM

I'm running the latest software for the original Apple TV, OS X 10.7.4, iTunes 10.6.3

Apple TV isn't showing as a device in iTunes I do not have a tab for Apple TV in my iTunes Preferences either.

Sorry if I am missing something ridiculously obvious.

• Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (81,670 points)

Yes the first generation Apple TV still works with the current version of iTunes.

Try restarting the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds, or resetting it using the reset option under general. You should also try restarting your router.

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (16,625 points)

sddesign wrote:

But the thing that is really puzzling me is that the Apple Support instructions mention going into iTunes Prefs and clicking on Apple TV - but there is no "Apple TV" to click on in my iTunes prefs (this is in addition to no "Devices" showing up in the left column of the iTunes interface. Weird.

From memory, this option is not there by default anymore but appears when you've successfully paired the ATV1 with iTunes.

Was the AppleTV originally paired to sync with a different computer or different OS installation on the same computer?

Provided you have all your data on the AppleTV backed up elsewhere you can set it up again to Sync with a new computer in Settings>Computers.

The top entry will be the sync pairing to the old computer, those below are shared libraries - you would need to highlight, select and remove both, then re-add the new computer at the top.

**** Setting AppleTV to sync with a new computer/iTunes library will delete all content from the unit *****

BTW did the option appear in Preferences afterwards - some time since I've set up an ATV1 sync afresh.

AC

There are good and bad things about the new AppleTVs.

The bad:

No storage.  Consequently not as good with slow connections as partial downloads readily lost.

No analogue connections.

No iTunes LP.

No iTunes Extras.

No audio out to Airport speakers.

Poorer organisation of shows/movies in the menus.

Poor icon driven interface.

The good:

Use less power.

Better processor.  Potentially can play 1080p, and video above 720p @24fps.

(Movie), TV Show playback from the 'cloud' - location dependent.

Netflix

Airplay (I'm not keen on this).

Various other online features (Vimeo, some US sports channels, WSJ) - if they appeal.

AC

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.