There are a few things you might try:
1. Fully close Safari: Double tap your home button to bring up the Task Bar. With your finger hold it on any of the task bar apps until they all jiggle. You'll see a on the upper left side of each app. Tough the to fully close Safari (it's a good idea to routinely fully close apps when they are not being used.
2. Go to Settings > Safari and Clear Cookes and Data
3. Reboot your iPad: Press and hold BOTH the power and home buttons at the SAME time for about 10 seconds (ignore the red slider to shut down) until the Apple Logo appears, then let go of both buttons and your iPad will restart.
Hopefully, Safari will operate normally when your iPad comes back up.
Close all inactive apps in the Task Bar
1. Double-click the Home button to see all Inactive Apps in Task Bar
2. Hold the Apps down for a second or two until you see the minus sign
3. Tap the minus sign to close App
4. Tap center of screen to return to Home Screen
5. Reset iPad. Hold the Sleep and Home button down for about 10 second until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the red slider