Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leica DMR support

The Leica digital back supports DNG format, and it all appeared to import into aperture ok, except each file is the file size it ought to be but the image dimensions are very small ( say 600 x 400) . When i open from Aperture in Photoshop, the image is the same size. If I import JPEG, or TIFF from the leica all is ok ?

Any help appreciated - or is it simply that Aperture does not support this DNG format?

Power Mac, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 16, 2006 1:40 PM

12 replies

Mar 16, 2006 1:46 PM in response to gh1

Aperture currently supports DNG formats from cameras from which it supports the native RAW format. The Leica isn't currently one of these, so far as I know, so it won't work.

That small file you're getting is the JPEG preview that is embedded in the RAW file itself -- it's not what you want.

If you import JPEG or TIFF all will be okay. TIFF may be preferable as it's lossless -- though you'd want to shoot as TIFF and not convert first from JPEG.

Mar 17, 2006 12:38 AM in response to William Lloyd

<...>
If you import JPEG or TIFF all will be okay. TIFF
may be preferable as it's lossless -- though you'd
want to shoot as TIFF and not convert first from JPEG.

Just to add to that, use 16-bit TIFF (not 8-bit) if you want full access to the dynamic range your camera offers when making adjustments.

In Aperture TIFF or JPG files are basically no different than RAW in terms of adjustments availiable to you, you can still use the white balance tools and so forth.

Mar 20, 2006 8:13 AM in response to David Slater

It's fully documented and open already, hardly a proprietary format. It's certainly not perfect, but it's the closest thing we've got to a universal format at the moment and it is embarrassing that Apple has such poor support. It would surely be easier for them to implement true DNG support than to support every exotic raw flavor out there.

May 7, 2006 2:58 PM in response to David Slater

Hello Apple,
I would like to have both full DNG support and Leica DMR support. I think if Aperture is going to have a long life and broad appeal to professionals, then it is a must that is support any standard image formats such as DNG and photoshop fully. Please realize that most professional photographers will have a number of different cameras from prosumer to medium format. If Aperture doesn't work for just one of those cameras then Aperture will not be a viable solution for that photographer. The idea that we all had to upgrade monitor cards and computer hardware in some cases is such microsoft think I can't tell you how unfortunate that is to force creative people to work specific ways. Well many of us did do that, but there will be no way Apple can force creatives to buy specific camera equipment just to use this application. Please rethink the logic on your application because creative people need to be able to realize their individual visions with software that is transparent but still provides many paths to the same end point.
Eric Hiss

May 7, 2006 3:21 PM in response to Eric Hiss

Obviously what needs doing here is Apple should just buy Adobe and bring all that technology onboard. Let me see where is Steve Job's Address Book vCard...

While DNG is not perfect it is an open standard and the ball is truly in Apple's court to improve the support for DNG. I have spent half the day scripting DNG compressed import into Aperture using Automator. I hope that Apple will improve the support for linear DNG (opening the doors to many non supported cameras) and give us the ability to convert to DNG on import without using scripts.

Thomas

Aug 21, 2006 9:27 PM in response to Brent Robinson

Hey Brent,
I too want DNG support and hope Apple figures out how to provide what they promised.

CaptureOne has it.
Adobe Camera RAW has it.
SilkyPix has it.
Raw Developer has it.
Aperture does NOT have it.
Quiz: Which of the above are the "Pro" apps that do raw workflow?

I won't be surprised if Apple deletes this post as they have deleted all my other posts requesting DNG support.

Eric

Aug 22, 2006 2:53 AM in response to kgelner

Hi there,

My Leica D-LUX 2 can shoot in TIFF format. Are you saying that I could import these into Aperture and the quality would be almost identical to RAW (and allow me to post process in a similar way to RAW?)

If you could confirm this then I will probably get Aperture now and hope they get RAW support sorted out in due course.

Kind Regards

Leica DMR support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.